Update 3 on Stage 4 restrictions in metropolitan Melbourne for housing
August 05, 2020
The Government has released further details regarding some of the requirements residential builders will need to comply with under the stage 4 restrictions in metropolitan Melbourne.
All residential building work can continue
A further document has been released providing information on the work that is permitted to continue during stage 4 restrictions in metropolitan Melbourne.
We understand this is an interim document and is likely to be replaced or updated.
Members should be aware that previous references to five workers and COVID Safe Plans are not included in this document, however we understand these requirements will remain applicable to residential building work. We also continue to seek a resolution regarding permitted movement between sites. We will inform members when we know more.
What you need to know
HIA will provide more information as the situation becomes clearer but key points to be aware of regarding permitted work are:
- The construction of new homes can continue.
- The renovation of homes can continue.
- If you are in the business of manufacturing building supplies to support construction, you can continue operating your business, for example joinery workshops can remain open.
- All office-based staff must work from home unless there is a clear need for them to attend an office to support ongoing building work.
- All workers attending a workplace, office or building site, must have a workers permit to travel to and from work. Information about the permitted worker permit is available here and you can download the permitted worker permit form here.
- From midnight Friday (7 August 2020) all businesses that can remain open in metropolitan Melbourne under stage 4 restrictions need to have a COVID Safe Plan in place. The COVID Safe Plan template is now available.
Businesses that have been following the HIA guidance materials including our Making Space Guidelines, COVID Site Induction and Site Manager for COVID will satisfy the requirements set out in the Plan. Members should take time to review the COVID Safe Plan template and review their current practices to have a completed plan in place by Friday.
More details to come
HIA is continuing to work with Government to resolve the many detailed issues arising from information published to date on the restrictions – including the conditions around moving between sites. We are in constant contact with Government about resolving this and other matter of details and will provide further updates to members as they become available.
If you have any questions please contact a HIA Workplace Adviser for assistance. Our team are currently responding to a large volume of calls and we may need to return your call, but please be assured we will work to respond to all members enquiries in a timely manner.
Email us for more information
Or please call us on 1300 650 620 Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm.