Frequently Asked Questions
What are the HIA Housing and Kitchen & Bathroom Awards?
The Housing and Kitchen & Bathroom Awards represent the pinnacle of achievement in Australia’s residential building industry.
They recognise excellence in the construction, design, innovation and technology of housing. Participation in this prestigious competition is a benefit enjoyed only by members of HIA.
Judged by industry professionals, the awards acknowledge the talent of builders, designers and building companies who plan and construct quality new housing and apartments, renovations and outdoor projects.
Who can enter?
The Housing and Kitchen & Bathroom Awards are open to all members of HIA. Entrants must be licensed or registered builders/companies.
To be eligible to enter the awards, projects are to have reached practical completion within 24 months prior to the closing of entries.
Why should I enter?
There are many reasons for entering the Housing and Kitchen & Bathroom Awards. Many entrants find the process of entering the awards is a reminder of the high standard of work they have produced in the past 24 months.
Winners and finalists gain extensive promotion through media and achieve the opportunity to promote themselves as an award winner/finalist.
Success provides winners and finalists with:
- valuable publicity and marketing for your business
- local and state consumer and industry exposure
- recognition as one of the industry’s best
- recognition of contractors and staff for superior workmanship
How does HIA promote winners?
Promotion varies around Australia, but generally, HIA promotes winners through a variety of avenues.
- Local newspapers highlight winners in a Housing Awards feature or results listing
- HIA sends out media releases on your behalf
- Winners are showcased in HIA’s glossy Top Homes magazine, widely distributed through newsagents (not available in all states)
- hia.com.au and your local Building News feature all the winners and finalists.
Following your success, HIA will send you a media kit and winners logos, helping you to maximise exposure to potential clients.
Who judges award entries?
Building industry professionals judge the categories that they have expertise in – skills include builders, architects, designers, engineers, surveyors and valuers, plus kitchen and bathroom judges are often cabinetmakers, designers or industry teachers.
When do entries close?
Closing dates vary in each state. Please refer to the important dates on your housing awards page.
When are the awards announced?
Housing Award evenings are held around Australia between August to November each year. Please refer to the important dates on your local housing awards page.
How does the awards process work?
Entries are submitted online; make sure you have digital copies on your computer of all of the documents listed in the entry checklist. Then visit our secure online portal to upload your documents and information on your project.
Please contact HIA Events if you require assistance with compiling your entry.
From here, it's a matter of attending the HIA Housing and Kitchen & Bathroom Awards night to see if you are a winner or finalist in the category(s) you have competed in.
Is there an award that recognises office staff?
Yes, the Business Partner Award recognises the vital work performed by office staff or your spousal partner. This essential ‘behind the scenes’ work often keeps the business running smoothly and allows you to maximise your hours on-site. To enter, see the Business Partner Award page or call your local office on 1300 650 620.
What information do I need to submit with my entry?
Basically, you need to submit all the details you put into your council or local authority when submitting plans for approval. All entries need to contain:
- a sixty word description of project
- stamped approved plans
- list and description of materials used
- energy rating assessment certificate
- Project price – provide a copy of the page of your contract that states the contract price with client signature, plus include any variations and itemised works by owner/others
- builder's own project – signed letter on company letterhead stating the complete cost to build an identical project
- sales brochure and price list for Display Homes/Apartments
- Project Home – supply display home brochure the project home is based on
- certificate of occupancy or equivalent completion certificate
- high resolution images of the project.
How should my entry be submitted?
Your entry doesn’t have to be complicated or ‘flashy’ to be in the running to win. You do need to ensure that you address the criteria and information required for the category you have entered, see the award checklists.
What happens if I win a national category at my local awards?
If you are a winner in a national category in your state awards, you will automatically be entered into the HIA-CSR Australian Housing Awards. i.e. if you win the NSW Custom Built Home of the Year at the NSW Housing Awards, your entry will progress and be judged against all the other state winners in the Custom Built Home category. You all become finalists in the HIA-CSR Australian Housing Awards and compete to win the Australian Custom Built Home of the Year.
Which categories move through from my state awards to the HIA-CSR Australian Housing Awards?
Winners in the following categories progress to the HIA-CSR Australian Housing Awards:
- Custom Built Home*
- Display Home*
- Spec Home*
- Project Home*
- Apartment of the Year*
- Apartment Complex
- Townhouse/Villa of the Year*
- Townhouse/Villa Development
- Renovation/Addition Project*
- Specialised Housing
- Outdoor Project
- Professional Major Builder
- Professional Medium Builder/Renovator
- Professional Small Builder/Renovator
- Business Partner
- Kitchen of the Year
- Kitchen Design
- Bathroom of the Year
- Bathroom Design
*the winners of these categories at the HIA-CSR Australian Housing Awards compete for the Australian Home of the Year award, the highest accolade of the Housing Awards.
Where can I get more information?
Visit your region’s Housing Awards page or contact your local Events team on 1300 650 620.