Finding a builder
With a little legwork, you should have no trouble finding the person who is best suited for your project.
- Get the names of builder members of your local Housing Industry Association (HIA) office. Membership in an industry organisation is an indication of professionalism. Association members have access to training and the latest information on all aspects of building and they agree to the HIA’s code of ethics, which sets out a framework for fair and honest business practices.
- Ask friends, family, co-workers and neighbours for recommendations. Also look around your neighbourhood for renovation projects underway and talk with the homeowners. Most people enjoy sharing their renovation experiences.
- Visit home shows and display centres. This is a perfect opportunity to meet the professional builders in your community, check out their displays and pick up company literature.
- Ask suppliers and retailers of building materials, products and hardware. Visit your local outlets and ask for the names of professional Builders that operate in your area that would be suitable for your project.
- ‘Let your fingers do the walking’. Look in the Yellow Pages™ under renovations, alteration and additions, home improvement, residential builders, building contractors, for the names of contractors. Keep in mind that anyone can advertise in a phonebook. Look for ads that tell you a little about the company’s expertise and check for logos that indicate the professionalism of the company, such as HIA membership.
- HIA’s online directory of building professionals. Tradebuild is a free online service to help you find builders in your area – visit tradebuild.com.au. HIA members are committed to offering high quality services.
- Check local advertising. Look in your community newspaper for advertisements by established, reputable companies, and review flyers and other promotional materials that come to your door. Again, you need to be cautious and take your time to get to know anyone you find through advertising before hiring them.
- By the way... If your renovation project is modest, you may think that the ‘top’ builders in your community are beyond your budget. This may not be the case. In reality, most companies work on a range of projects, from small to large-scale renovations.
- Above all, take your time. Investing a little of your time upfront to find a builder will be well worth it in the long run. When you begin with a list of professional builders, the next steps are easy – interviewing, checking credentials and hiring the company that is right for your project.
Find a builder
View outstanding projects from the industry