What is a professional builder
A professional builder is a general building work contractor who can put your whole project together. The builder will assume complete responsibility for the work contracted and give you a warranty once completed.
Professional builders, such as HIA builders, offer:
- an extensive business network of suppliers, trades, installers and experts that they draw on as required for your project.
- understanding of the technical aspects of construction in detail and knowing how houses work. They can assess your renovation and explain what is involved, as well as identify potential problems and provide solutions.
- advice on the most suitable approach if your project requires design services, and recommendations for a design professional if needed. Some builders offer both design and construction services. Alternatively, some builders are experienced in working with architects or building designers.
- extensive knowledge of and experience using the latest products and materials. They keep up-to-date and can help you make the selections that will work best for your project and budget.
- familiarity with the regulations and codes in your council area and how the system works.
- consultation with you to determine the right budget for your renovation. They know through experience the cost of materials and labour and therefore are in the best position to offer realistic cost effective construction, to achieve your renovation goals.
- a written contract that clearly describes the work, materials to be used, timelines, price, responsibilities of both parties and other details as appropriate.
- the ability to organise and manage a project – scheduling workers, trades and delivery of materials; keeping track of expenses; maintaining a clean and safe work site; and minimising the inconvenience to you. When necessary, they know how to deal with the unexpected and the surprises that sometimes occur in a renovation.
- most importantly, prioritising the customer. Professional builders listen carefully so they know what you want. They provide you with names of previous customers so you can check out the company’s track record yourself. They explain the process so you know what to expect, and once the work begins they give you regular updates so you always know what’s going on. They also encourage you to voice any questions or concerns you may have as the work progresses. In brief, they work for you and with you to make sure that you are satisfied and happy with the final results.
Find a builder
View outstanding projects from the industry