We are fast approaching the holidays and the subsequent shutdown period. Many of us are looking forward to spending a well-deserved break with friends and family, soaking up the sunshine right across our magnificent coastlines and enjoying the wonderful foods Christmas offers. However, while you enjoy a good game of backyard cricket, you don’t want to be worrying about your construction site.
Shutdowns are a standard holiday occurrence in the residential building industry. During this time of inactivity it is important to remember to secure your site to minimise any potential risks that could occur over the break.
Some important reminders for safety during the shutdown include:
• ensure all fencing is secure and undamaged
• check that gates are locked
• check that locks and doors function correctly.
• secure all signage
• display warning signs
• check signage clearly defines any potential hazards
• display emergency contact numbers.
Tools and equipment
• remove as many tools and chemicals as possible or store them in a secured and locked location onsite
• block access to scaffolding, ladders and elevated floors
• clear away any trip hazards
• remove flammable objects (full skip bins and wooden pallets)
• turn electrical power off
• check security lighting and cameras are working.
HIA wishes everyone a safe and happy holidays.