What you need to decide
- What trade do you want to focus on?
- Who do you want to work for?
- Do you want to be employed directly by a tradesperson?
- Become part of a Group Training Organisation (GTO)?
You have two options:
Direct employment: You can be directly employed as an apprentice – that means you find a tradesperson on your own to take you on and they employ you as their apprentice.
Group Training Organisation: A GTO like HIA Apprentices becomes your employer and places you with a tradesperson or organisation (we call these Host Trainers) looking for an apprentice in the trade you have chosen.
What happens next?
Complete a pre-apprenticeship or VET in schools program at school or TAFE
Find on-site work experience or contact HIA Apprentices for other pathways to an apprenticeship
Once you have a good idea of the trade you want to follow:
Apply for an apprenticeship with HIA Apprentices
- If selected by HIA you will be enrolled in a trade school to complete your Certificate III Trade apprenticeship
- At the same time you will do practical employment working in your chosen field
Once you have successfully completed up to three years of trade school and have been proven to be competent in the skills of your given trade you will become a qualified tradesperson
Now all you need to decide is whether you want to continue working as an employee. You could move into leading hand, supervising or management positions. Or you might want to start your own business as a sub-contractor.
Some tradespeople even go on to further education to complete courses from Certificate IV to bachelor degree at university.
Signing up to an apprenticeship is a big decision and you’re likely to have lots of questions. Speak to your local HIA Apprentices representative on 1300 650 620
or your careers adviser for more information.