Changes to the Building and Construction Award - commence 1 July 2020
January 12, 2020
The Fair Work Commission (Commission) has recently confirmed that all changes arising from the 4 yearly review of modern awards, which relate to the Building and Construction Onsite Award 2010 (Onsite Award), will commence from 1 July 2020.
What are the changes?
From 1 July 2020 the following key changes to the Onsite Award will commence:
- Travel Allowance – The onerous provision that requires payment of the allowance in circumstances where a company vehicle was provided will be removed
- Rostered Days Off (RDO) – Amendments which allow employers and employees to use RDOs how and when it suits their circumstances by allowing an agreement to be reached in relation to RDO scheduling; and banking of RDOs
- Time in lieu – Allowing employers and employees to agree to accrue overtime and take it as a form of leave, in lieu of payment. The time in lieu will accrue at the rate of the additional hours worked (not at the rate of overtime which would be payable)
- Enhanced industry allowance – The removal and replacement of 52 complex industry, disability and expense related allowances, with a single enhanced industry allowance
- Simplification of provisions – A number of provisions, including the living away from home allowance, annual leave loading, travel allowance, and tool and employee protection allowance will be redrafted.
Of note, the 2019-2020 Annual Minimum Wage Decision will also take affect from 1 July 2020.
Keep up to date with the changes
HIA will continue to be involved in the proceedings before the Commission. As further information becomes available HIA will provide members with further detailed information sheets, and webinars.
To ensure you get information as it becomes available, contact the HIA InfoCentre via email@example.com to be added to the award update service.
If you have any further questions, please contact a HIA Workplace Adviser on 1300 650 620