NCC 2019 Out of Cycle Amendment
May 31, 2020
At the request of Building Ministers, the ABCB has once again moved to break the three year cycle with another out of cycle amendment being released for public comment in September with a start date of 1 July 2020.
The main components to the amendment include:
- Enhanced fire safety measures for early childhood centres in high-rise buildings, this will include limiting child care centres to ground floor only under the DTS Provisions or needing to have direct egress requirements from the floor containing the childhood centre.
- Initiatives being developed in response to recommendations of the Shergold/Weir Building Confidence Report including:
Specifying administrative provisions that all Performance Solutions, regardless of the building class or complexity of the solution, would be required to undertake include developing performance based design briefs.
- Reference to a new Technical Specification for the permanent labelling of Aluminium Composite Panels.
- Clarification of concessions for 3 and 4 storey Class 2 and 3 buildings, to specify that it only applies to timber framing and not extend to a concession for other elements such as timber cladding.
- Corrections to NCC 2019 including to a requirement that would’ve otherwise required inclusion of anti-ponding devices/boards for unsarked tiled roofs.
Whilst the proposed amendments are mostly relevant to NCC Volume One, there are elements that will effect Class 1 buildings including the additional administrative requirements for Performance Solutions which will result in increased time for approval, costs in development of solutions, and additional red tape particularly for straight forward Performance Solutions for houses.
A number of minor NCC 2019 corrections have also been made. HIA was successful in advocating for addressing the error that required anti-ponding devices to be installed for tile roofs regardless of sarking being installed which had resulted in unnecessary costs and regulatory burden. Disappointingly HIA has raised further errors that are causing issues for the industry but these have not been addressed in the amendment.
The out of cycle amendment will take effect 1 July 2020 but the Performance Solution process elements are subject to an additional 12 month transitional period prior to taking effect.
If you would like anymore information on this topic please contact us on 1300 650 620.