April 08, 2019
ABCB Handbooks are informative non-mandatory documents containing generic advice on factors that may be considered, or approaches that may be taken, in dealing with specific building issues.
These Handbooks can be accessed through the Resource Library
within the Resources tab on the ABCB website. Some Handbooks include –
NCC Volume One Energy Efficiency Provisions
– Provides details of the energy efficiency requirements of NCC Volume One, multi-residential, commercial and public buildings.
Indoor air quality
– Provides details to use the verification methods for indoor air quality in NCC Volumes One and Two.
JV3 - Energy Efficiency
– Assists in understanding a JV3 Performance Solution in Section J.
Sound transmission and insulation in buildings
– Provides guidance in the development, implementation and review of solutions that deliver acceptable levels of sound insulation for buildings.
Evidence of Suitability
– Provides guidance on using the evidence of suitability provisions in the NCC.
Lifts Used During Evacuation
– Provides guidance on the risks, equipment limitations and other matters that should be addressed when considering a Performance Solution for the use of Lifts during an evacuation.
Upgrading existing buildings
– Provides guidance for practitioners developing or approving a scope of proposed remedial work when upgrading an existing building.
Using on-site renewable and reclaimed energy
– Provides information and guidance to use on-site renewable and reclaimed energy to comply with the NCC energy efficiency requirements.
NCC Volume Two Energy Efficiency Provisions
– Provides details of energy efficiency requirements for NCC Volume Two, residential dwellings.
- Provides details of the verification methods used in the NCC Volume One and Two to develop an understanding of the methodologies used to assess structural robustness.
– Provides details of the verification methods used in the NCC Volume One and Two to develop an understanding of the methodologies used to assess structural reliability.
Durability in Buildings including Plumbing Installations
– Addresses aspects of durability relating to the objectives of safety, health and amenity in the built environment.
– Provides guidance on the planning, design, construction and maintenance of buildings and structures that are prone to landslide hazards.
Maintenance of Safety Measures, Equipment and Energy Efficiency Installations
– Develops an understanding of the importance of maintenance in achieving building outcomes and highlights the existence of specific requirements.
Condensation in Buildings
– Assists in the assessment and management of the risk of condensation and its consequences.
Design and Construction of Community Bushfire Refuges
– Provides guidance in the design and construction of community bushfire refuges to enable practitioners to make informed decisions.
Construction of Buildings in Flood Hazard Areas
– Develops a greater understanding of provisions for the ABCB Standard for Construction of Buildings in Flood Hazard Areas.
Digital Building Telecommunications Access
– Provides guidance for facilitating access to buildings by multiple telecommunications carriers, carriage service providers and others involved in the provision of services to tenants in buildings.