Changes to the Further Education and Training Act 2014
November 18, 2019
The Training Act regulates training arrangements for apprentices and trainee’s as well as their training contracts. There are general two contracts when an employer engages an apprentice or trainee; one is the training contract which is regulated by the Queensland government and the other is the employment contract regulated by the relevant modern award and federal legislation.
Members, engaging apprentices should be aware that the changes will impact:
- The process for the cancellation of the training contract by one party
- The termination of a training contract by requiring that 21 days pass before the termination takes effect
- The ability to re-register a cancelled contract in particular circumstances, for example where the apprentice has been re-instated due to a successful unfair dismissal claim
- The training plan, which while generally agreed to by the employer and RTO, may be altered by the Chief Executive for particular delivery modes
- Notification requirements by employers in situations such as unfair dismissal application or any other notice contesting termination of employment
- The ability of the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission (QIRC) to review certain decisions by the authority affecting the training contract.
If you have any questions, please contact a HIA Workplace Adviser via email@example.com