Renewal of registration
January 28, 2019
Registered building practitioners, including registered companies, are now required to renew their registration every five years. HIA receives a number of member queries and complaints about this process and provides the following guidance for members to ensure that they minimise the risk of building registration not being renewed in time:
1. Make sure that you are aware of the expiry date for all building registrations, individual and company. If you are trading using a company (including a trustee company) at least one director as well as the company will hold registration. The expiry date for building registration is available by searching your registration details on the VBA website. Note that the date of your VBA identification card is the annual date for providing evidence of insurance and paying your annual fee – and not the five year expiry date.
2. Make sure that your application for five year renewal is lodged at least three months before the expiry date. The Building Act now provides that if an application for renewal is made at least three months before expiry then the registration continues past the expiry date if the VBA has not finalised the application. If your application is lodged within the three months before the expiry then your registration will expire if the VBA has not finalised the application.
3. Check that your application has been completed with all necessary information provided and documents attached. HIA understands that many applications have to be returned by the VBA because the applicant has failed to complete the application correctly.
4. Make sure that you keep a copy of your renewal of registration application. HIA has received reports from members of the VBA misplacing applications and the member needing to re-lodge the application to ensure its processing is not further delayed.
5. After your application is lodged, the VBA will send an email to have the police check completed online. Ensure that the police check is completed promptly. HIA understands that some applications for renewal are delayed because police checks have not been completed. Note that with registered companies all directors, and not just the registered builder director, must complete the police checks.
For further information, please call 1300 650 620 to speak to a HIA Workplace Adviser.