WorkSafe focus: silica in construction sites and precast concrete facilities
March 14, 2019
Reports last year of a significant increase of cases of Australian workers developing silicosis prompted WorkSafe to audit stone bench top manufacturing facilities to enforce safety requirements.
HIA recently learnt that WorkSafe will soon focus on other construction activities that generate respirable crystalline silica, such as:
- Autoclaved aerated concrete cutting during onsite installation
- Concrete and brick cutting and core drilling
- Precast concrete panel bed cleaning and precast panel polishing and finishing
- General construction activities – drilling into concrete, sweeping up site dust, jack hammering
- Onsite cutting of silica containing materials.
It is expected that WorkSafe inspectors will visit construction sites and precast concrete panel facilities to provide practical and constructive information and guidance about duties, and responsibilities under Victoria’s OHS laws and how to comply. Where necessary, WorkSafe inspectors may also take enforcement action where appropriate dust control measures are found to be inadequate.
More information to help you ensure you and your workers are safe is available from WorkSafe.