Skip to main content

Contracts and home building work

April 28, 2019

Regardless of any permit and registration requirements, if you are doing work on a home, it probably is home building work and if it is between $7,500 and $500,000 it will need to meet the contract compliance requirements under the law.

The legal definition of home building work captures many tasks that may not seem obvious, resulting in some builders being caught-out and fined. In this case, the term builder simply means a person who performs home building work for others.

Home building work (amongst other things) constructing, altering, improving, or repairing a dwelling; placing a transportable home on land; and any associated  works, such as site works, swimming pools, spas, pergolas, carports, garages, sheds, fencing, retaining walls, paving, driveways, landscaping and other similar times of work.

If you are doing home building work between $7,500 and $500,000 in value, you must have a contract in place in addition to a number of other requirements.

For more information on the how to make sure you are using the right contracts, see the HIA Information sheet on Complying with the Home Building Contracts Act 1991.

If you would like to discuss this further or have any questions, please call Kiran Kaur, HIA Workplace Adviser on 9492 9200 or email WA_IR&