{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Economic research and forecasting Economics Housing outlook Tailored market research Economic reports and data Inspiring Australia's building professionals HOUSING The only place to get your industry news Media releases Member alerts Submissions See all
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder and manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies and tool insurance Planning and safety services Building and planning services How can HIA Safety help you? Independent site inspections Solutions for your business Contracts Online HIA Tradepass HIA SafeScan HR Docs Trusted legal support Legal advice and guidance Professional services Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials and products Concrete, bricks and walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Falls from heights Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects COVID-19 Getting approval to build Sustainable homes
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Hear what our apprentices say Advice for parents and guardians Study with us Find a course Get your builder's licence Learn with HIA
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Mates rates What we do Mental health program Charitable Foundation GreenSmart
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Australian Housing Awards Awards program National Conference Industry networking Events Building and Renovation Home Show
HIA products
HIA products $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Shop @ HIA Digital Australian Standards Contracts Online Shipping and delivery Purchasing terms & conditions Products Building codes and standards Hard copy contracts Guides and manuals Safety and signage See all
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Asbestos and residential building work

This information provides an overview of the NSW regulatory requirements when a builder and/or tradesperson is going to commence work on a residential property that has or may have asbestos present. It’s limited to parts of the regulation relating to work on residential buildings. You should also consider requirements related to workplaces containing asbestos if necessary.

Work Health and Safety Regulation 2017

The Work Health and Safety (WHS) Regulation 2017 and the Protection of the Environment Operations (Waste) Regulation 2014 contain requirements that builders and tradesmen must be aware of if working on residential buildings.

The WHS regulation requires that if a person is going to demolish or refurbish a residential building that was constructed before 31 December 2003 they must identify and then remove any asbestos that is likely to be disturbed, before commencing work. If there is asbestos present then there must be an emergency plan in place in case anything goes wrong.

The waste regulation contains requirements regarding the transport of asbestos, such as when taking asbestos to a waste facility.

How can I Identify asbestos?

Before commencing any demolition or refurbishment work on a residential building that was constructed before 31 December 2003, any asbestos-containing materials (ACM) must be identified by a competent person.

If certain areas of the building cannot be accessed for inspection, but are likely to have asbestos present, then the person in charge of the work must assume that asbestos is present.

To assist in identifying ACM, the competent person can arrange for a sample of material at the workplace to be analysed for the presence of asbestos. An accredited NATA laboratory can be used for the analysis. You can find a laboratory by contacting NATA.

Note that care should be exercised when retrieving samples for analysis. Some accredited laboratories offer sample collection as part of their service. For more information contact SafeWork NSW.

Removing asbestos

Once ACM has been identified, if it is likely to be disturbed it must be removed by a licensed asbestos remover. The person conducting the work is responsible for ensuring that the asbestos remover is licensed.

You can check on an asbestos remover’s license – and be aware that the licensed asbestos remover is required to give five days’ notice to SafeWork NSW before commencing work.

The removal of 10m2 or less of non-friable asbestos is exempt from the license requirements. However, the WHS regulation requires that the person conducting the business must ensure that the removal work is undertaken by a competent person who has been trained in how to remove and handle asbestos.

Note that asbestos removal, regardless of the amount to be removed, is a high-risk activity and a Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) must be completed before commencing work.

Transporting asbestos

The Waste Regulation requires that a person transporting asbestos must report certain information to the Environment Protection Authority (EPA), including where the waste has come from, where it is going, when it is going and the amount.

If 10m2 or less of asbestos sheet material is to be transported, it does not have to be reported to the EPA.

Asbestos may only be taken to a landfill site that is lawfully permitted to receive asbestos waste.

A person who transports asbestos must ensure that the part of the vehicle transporting the asbestos is covered and leakproof during transport. Non-friable asbestos must also be securely packaged during transport.

Note there are additional transport requirements for other types of asbestos. HIA members should check their insurance coverage before transporting any amount of asbestos. If an accident occurs during transport you may not be covered for the clean-up or injury caused by the asbestos, which could include emergency services and traffic control charges. 

To find out more, contact HIA’s Building Services team.

Email us

Share with your network:

More articles on:

{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find guides, how-tos, resources and more

Managing your safety topics


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.

HIA SafeScan enquiry 


Find out more about using HIA SafeScan on your worksite for fast and efficient compliance.

Tell me more

NSW Site Sign - Warning Asbestos Containing Material

Erect this 600x450mm warning sign at your construction-site to show that asbestos materials are present and that a licenced asbestos removalist is man...

QLD Site Sign - Warning Asbestos Containing Material

Erect this 600x450mm warning sign at your construction-site to show that asbestos materials are present and that a licenced asbestos removalist is man...

TAS Large Site Multisign - 8 In 1 Safety Sign

This large 8-in-1 multi-sign warns of potential hazards on your construction-site.

WA Site Sign - Asbestos Removal in Progress

Show that asbestos materials are present and that a licenced asbestos removalist is managing its removal with this 600x450mm warning sign at your cons...