Skip to main content

Builder's Licence

In NSW the licence category you need is a Builder’s Licence. You can get a Builder’s Licence with 2 years’ on the job experience plus the relevant technical qualifications. 


To apply for your NSW Builder’s Licence you must be able to show at least 2 years’ relevant industry experience across a wide range of building construction work.

'Experience' means that you gained the relevant experience by being an employee of or were engaged by a person with a contractor licence authorising the holder to do the class of residential building work in which the experience was gained ('the Work'), where during the relevant period, the applicant was:

  • Supervised and directed in the doing of the Work by the holder of an endorsed contractor licence or supervisor certificate authorising its holder to supervise the Work and
  • Financially remunerated for the Work. The requirement for practical experience in a wide range of building construction work may include but is not limited to: experience that demonstrates the ability or capacity to competently project manage residential building work in accordance with the Building Code of Australia, including dealing effectively with sub-contractors, consumers and other parties.

Technical qualifications

As well as two years on the job experience in the construction industry you will need to have the following qualifications:

  • Certificate IV in Building and Construction (BCG4010 or CPC40108 Building or CPC40110 Building) or
    (BCG40206 or CPC40208 Contract Administration) or (BCG40306 or CPC40308 Estimating) or (BCG40506 or CPC40508 Site Management).

The qualification must also include the following units:

  • BCGBC4001A or CPCCBC4001A
  • BCGBC4002A or CPCCBC4002A
  • BCGBC4003A or CPCCBC4003A
  • BCGBC4004A or CPCCBC4004A
  • BCGBC4005A or CPCCBC4005A
  • BCGBC4006A or CPCCBC4006A or CPCCBC4006B
  • BCGBC4007A or CPCCBC4007A
  • BCGBC4008A or CPCCBC4008A or CPCCBC4008B
  • BCGBC4009A or CPCCBC4009A or CPCCBC4009B
  • BCGBC4010A or CPCCBC4010A or CPCCBC4010B
  • BCGBC4011A or CPCCBC4011A or CPCCBC4011B
  • BSBSBM406A
  • BCGBC4012A or CPCCBC4012A
  • BCGBC4018A or CPCCBC4018A
  • BCGBC4024A or CPCCBC4024A

Plus, one of the following:

  • A current Carpentry or Bricklaying contractor licence or supervisor certificate, or an approved qualification that would allow the issue of such a licence (for details of approved qualifications, see Carpentry or Bricklaying
  • Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) BCG50206 or CPC50208
  • Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) CPC50210 including the following units:
    • CPCCBC5004A
    • CPCCBC5005A
    • CPCCBC5007A
    • CPCCBC5009A 
  • Bachelor of Housing from an Australian University or a Degree in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, Architecture, Housing, Construction, Construction Management, Construction Economics, Applied Science (Building), Quantity Surveying from an Australian University.
  • Degree in Building, Construction, Construction Management, Construction Economics, Applied Science (Building), or Quantity Surveying from an Australian University (this requires the applicant to undertake the equivalent of 4 years’ full time study and a mandatory work placement.
  • If you have previously held a licence in the prescribed class of 'building' (Home Building Regulation 2004,clause 46) and you apply for a new licence within 2 years of the former licence's expiry, your previous licence will be accepted in lieu of the current qualification requirements.

Training options

HIA offers nationally recognised training (NRT) that you can use towards the process of gaining your licence or registration, and keep you up-to-date with industry changes. You can also get (Continuous Professional Development) CPD points if your state or territory requires you to do on-going training to maintain your licence or registration.

Nationally Recognised Training (NRT) for technical qualifications

Nationally Recognised Training (NRT) is the type of training that makes up the technical qualifications component you will need to apply for an industry licence or registration – such as a builder’s licence. NRT can be a combination of short courses or a full qualification such as a Cert IV.

Professional Development (PD) workshops for CPD points

Professional Development (PD) courses are workshops that offer the latest information to help increase your skills and knowledge. By attending these workshops you can accumulate Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points, if your state or territory requires these as part of your ongoing licence or registration maintenance.

Whether it's a Cert IV to become a builder or just building your career, HIA have a course to suit you.

Enquire now Find a course