Skip to main content

Building Contractor Residential Licence

In the Northern Territory the licence category you need is a Building Contractor Residential Licence.


You will need a minimum 3 years’ practical experience in carrying out building work for which a building contractor residential (restricted) is a prescribed building contractor for section 48A(1)(a) and (b) of the Act.

Technical qualifications

As well as 3 years’ practical experience in the construction industry you will need to have the following qualification:

  • CPC40110 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building)

Training options

HIA offers nationally recognised training (NRT) that you can use towards the process of gaining your licence or registration, and keep you up-to-date with industry changes. You can also get (Continuous Professional Development) CPD points if your state or territory requires you to do on-going training to maintain your licence or registration.

Nationally Recognised Training (NRT) for technical qualifications

Nationally Recognised Training (NRT) is the type of training that makes up the technical qualifications component you will need to apply for an industry licence or registration – such as a builder’s licence. NRT can be a combination of short courses or a full qualification such as a Cert IV.

Professional Development (PD) workshops for CPD points

Professional Development (PD) courses are workshops that offer the latest information to help increase your skills and knowledge. By attending these workshops you can accumulate Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points, if your state or territory requires these as part of your ongoing licence or registration maintenance.

Whether it's a Cert IV to become a builder or just building your career, HIA have a course to suit you.

Enquire now Find a course