Skip to main content

Domestic Builder (unlimited) Registration

In Victoria the licence category you need is a Domestic Builder (unlimited) Registration. You can get a Domestic Builder Registration with 3 years’ practical experience to the satisfaction of the Victorian Building Authority.

HIA offers our Victorian members a comprehensive assistance program called Builder Registration Mentoring Workshops. These provide you with the information and knowledge you need to successfully apply for your Domestic Builder Registration.

Book your spot for our next Building Registration Mentoring Workshop.


1300 650 620


Prescribed qualifications

When applying for builder registration in Victoria it is important to understand that while there are prescribed qualifications an applicant may show they have equivalent skills and qualifications.

In practice, many applicants for builder registration have a CPC40110 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) and demonstrate by exams and assessments that they have the equivalent skills and experience to the prescribed qualifications. It for this reason that many potential builders undertake the CPC40110 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) course and do not necessarily obtain a degree of diploma.

The prescribed qualifications listed in the Building Regulations 2018 (Regulations) for the DB-U class are:

  • the successful completion of:
    • a Bachelor of Construction Management and Economics from Holmesglen Institute; or
    • a Bachelor of Construction Management (Honours) from Deakin University; or
    • a Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) (CPC50210) from an RTO; and
  • at least 3 years of practical experience.

Training options

HIA offers nationally recognised training (NRT) that you can use towards the process of gaining your licence or registration, and keep you up-to-date with industry changes. You can also get Continuous Professional Development (CPD) points if your state or territory requires you to do on-going training to maintain your licence or registration.

Nationally Recognised Training (NRT) for technical qualifications

Nationally Recognised Training (NRT) is the type of training that makes up the technical qualifications component you will need to apply for an industry licence or registration – such as a builder’s licence. NRT can be a combination of short courses or a full qualification such as a Cert IV.

Professional Development (PD) workshops for CPD points

Professional Development (PD) courses are workshops that offer the latest information to help increase your skills and knowledge. By attending these workshops you can accumulate Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points, if your state or territory requires these as part of your ongoing licence or registration maintenance.

Whether it's a Cert IV to become a builder or just building your career, HIA have a course to suit you.

Enquire now Find a course