{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Economic research & forecasting Economics Housing outlook Tailored market research Economic reports & data Inspiring Australia's building professionals Business & digital Products & innovation Projects HOUSING Online The only place to get your industry news Media releases Member alerts Submissions See all
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder & manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies & tool insurance Planning & safety solutions Building & planning services How can safety solutions help you? Independent site inspections Solutions for your business Contracts Online HIA Tradepass HIA SafeScan Advertise jobs Trusted support & guidance Contracts & compliance support Professional services Industrial relations Member savings Toyota vehicles Fuel savings Handy pay See all
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials & products Concrete, bricks & walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Falls from heights Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects COVID-19 Getting approval to build Sustainable homes See all
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Frequently asked questions Study with us Find a course to suit you Qualification courses Learning on demand A job in the industry Get your builder's licence Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Find jobs
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Mates rates Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Our initiatives GreenSmart Kitchen, bathroom and design hub Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Support for you Charitable Foundation Mental health program
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Awards program People & Business Awards GreenSmart Australian Housing Awards Awards winners Regional Award winners Australian Housing Award winners 2023 Australian Home of the Year Enter online Industry events Events in the next month Economic outlook National Conference Events calendar
HIA products
HIA products $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Shop @ HIA Digital Australian Standards Contracts Online Shipping & delivery Purchasing T&Cs See all Products Purchase NCC 2022 Building codes & standards Economic reports Hard copy contracts Guides & manuals
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Changes to rules on who is permitted to demolish a house

Recent changes in Victoria, now allow registered builders to undertake their own demolition work without the need for additional registration as a demolisher.

Removing or demolishing a whole house has long been considered the realm of a registered demolisher. 

HIA often receive calls asking whether existing builder registration also enables them to undertake the demolition on a project they are working on or whether they are required to engage a licenced/registered demolisher.

Until recently, this was a grey area, but the Victorian government has provided clarity on this matter to confirm that a builder registered in the class of Domestic Builder Unlimited or ‘DB-U’ is permitted to carry out demolition or removal works.  

This has been clarified by the Victorian Building Authority in their updated practice note DE-02 Demolition and Removal of Buildings.

When undertaking demolition work

If you are undertaking demolition or removal of a home the building regulations have specific requirements that must be complied with. These are located in the Victorian Building Regulations under Regulation 117 and include that:

  • precautions to be taken before and during demolition in accordance with AS 2601  demolition of structures
  • not commencing building demolition work until a building permit has been issued
  • constantly review the progress of demolition and take further precautions during the demolition as necessary.

There are also rules on the documentation that is needed to be for the building permit in undertaking demolition works that are outlined in Regulation 26 including:

  • Procedures and method of demolition
  • Details of the building or part of building to be demolished.
  • Any hoardings and protection works to be provided
  • Evidence that the builder has the knowledge and experience to demolish or remove a building

To find out more, contact HIA's Building Services team.

Email us

Share with your network:
More articles on:
{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find the latest expert advice, guides and much more!

Getting approval to build topics


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.