{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Economic research and forecasting Economics Housing outlook Tailored market research Economic reports and data Inspiring Australia's building professionals HOUSING The only place to get your industry news Newsroom
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host an HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder and manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies and tool insurance Paperwork gone digital Contracts Online HIA Tradepass HR Docs SafeScan - managing workplace safety Planning and safety services Building and planning services How can HIA Safety help you? Independent site inspections Trusted legal support Legal advice and guidance Professional services Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials and products Concrete, bricks and walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Falls from heights Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects COVID-19 Getting approval to build Sustainable homes
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Hear what our apprentices say Advice for parents and guardians Study with us Find a course Get your builder's licence Qualifications Learn with HIA
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Mates Rates What we do Mental health program Charitable Foundation GreenSmart
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Australian Housing Awards Awards program National Conference Industry networking Events
HIA products
HIA products $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Shop @ HIA Products Digital Australian Standards Contracts Online Shipping and delivery Purchasing terms & conditions
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Building on land adjacent to a classified road

Building on land adjacent to a classified road is defined in the Standard Instrument Order and includes the following types of roads: main roads, highways, freeways, secondary road, tollworks and transitways. The information here can assist you understand the regulations and guidelines regarding building on this type of land.

Seeking approval for building next to a classified road

Clause 101 of the State Environmental Planning Policy (Infrastructure) 2007 (Infrastructure SEPP) applies to development on land with a frontage to a classified road. 

Building adjacent to a classified road requires the local council to seek the views of the Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) and take any views provided into consideration. 

The local council and RMS will consider issues such as vehicle access to the site and any impact on the performance of the classified road. The RMS will review the proposed development (plans and traffic impact report) and provide its comments to the council. You can find out further information at the RMS website

Any works within the road and footpath (such as a driveway crossing or replacement kerb and gutter) will also require a concurrent approval by the council under the Roads Act 1993. Section 138 of the Roads Act 1993 requires RMS to give its written concurrence where the development is on a classified road. 

Clause 102 of the Infrastructure SEPP applies to residential development of land that is in or adjacent to the road corridor for a classified road and requires the local council to consider the guideline Development near rail corridors  and busy roads – interim guideline .The relevant circular, Planning Circular PS08-016, was published in 2008. 

Australian Standards for building next to a classified road

During its assessment of an application, the council will usually consider the impact of the classified road on the proposed development and may refer to the following Australian Standards: 

  • AS/NZS 2107:2016 Acoustics – Recommended design sound levels and reverberation times for building interiors 
  • AS2702:1989 Acoustics – Road traffic noise intrusion – Building siting and construction 

Copies of these standards are available from SAI Global

To find out more, contact HIA’s Planning and Environment team.

Email us

Share with your network:

More articles on:

{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find guides, how-tos, resources and more

Contracts Online 

The industry’s go-to digital platform. 

No matter the size of the job, a watertight building contract is critical to protect your business, and the current climate presents a great opportunity to go digital with your contracts.

Take me there

Business support


Supporting building professionals with custom built services and products.

  • Legal support
  • Contracts Online
  • Host an HIA apprentice
  • Insurance services
  • Managing safety

Explore Business support