{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Economic research and forecasting Economics Housing outlook Tailored market research Economic reports and data Inspiring Australia's building professionals HOUSING The only place to get your industry news Media releases Member alerts Submissions See all
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder and manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies and tool insurance Planning and safety services Building and planning services How can HIA Safety help you? Independent site inspections Solutions for your business Contracts Online HIA Tradepass HIA SafeScan HR Docs Trusted legal support Legal advice and guidance Professional services Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials and products Concrete, bricks and walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Falls from heights Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects COVID-19 Getting approval to build Sustainable homes
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Hear what our apprentices say Advice for parents and guardians Study with us Find a course Get your builder's licence Learn with HIA
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Mates rates What we do Mental health program Charitable Foundation GreenSmart
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Australian Housing Awards Awards program National Conference Industry networking Events
HIA products
HIA products $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Shop @ HIA Digital Australian Standards Contracts Online Shipping and delivery Purchasing terms & conditions Products Building codes and standards Hard copy contracts Guides and manuals Safety and signage See all
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Do you do insurance work?

Members who carry out building work on behalf of insurance companies should be aware that insurance claims handling and settling services are now considered a financial service.

Members who carry out building work on behalf of insurance companies should be aware that insurance claims handling and settling services are now considered a financial service. 

This might mean you are subject to new obligations.

Key facts

  • If you undertake certain activities in relation to an insurance product you may be providing insurance claims handling and settling services. These services are now considered a financial service.
  • If you are carrying out a financial service in some circumstances you may need to hold an Australian Financial Service (AFS) license. 

When do I need an AFS license? 

There are two circumstances that those in the residential building industry may need an AFS license.

1.If you are a ‘claimant intermediary’

You are a ‘claimant intermediary’ if you:

  • carry on a business of representing insured people in pursuing a general insurance claim; and 
  • do so in return for any benefit (monetary or otherwise) which is given to you or a person you nominate.

2.If you are an ‘insurance fulfilment provider’

You are an insurance fulfilment provider if you:

  • provide building services to satisfy an insures liability to an insured person; and 
  • have authority from the insurer to reject all or part of the claims.


A claiment intermediary

Steven’s roof is damaged in a hailstorm. John approaches Steven and says he will repair the roof and handle the insurance paperwork for Steven in exchange for a fee to be paid to a company controlled by another person.

John is a claimant intermediary as he carries on a business of representing a consumer to pursue an insurance claim for a benefit, even though the benefit is not provided directly to John.

A fulfilment provider

Sam operates a building business and is an approved repairer for an insurer. Sarah makes a claim on her home and contents policy. The insurer refers Sarah to Sam.

If Sam is authorised to reject all or part of Sarah’s claim, Sam will need an AFS license. If Sam is only authorised to accept Sarah’s claim, or has no authority to accept or reject Sarah’s claim, Sam does not need an AFS license.

ASIC has provided the below decision tree to assist members determine if they need an AFS license.

Do you do insurance work?

I need an AFS license, what should I do? 

More information can be found at ASIC’s website where you can start your AFS licence application.

To find out more, contact HIA's Workplace Services team

Email us

Share with your network:

More articles on:

{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find guides, how-tos, resources and more

Managing your business


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.

Explore resources

HIA Tradepass


HIA Tradepass takes the hassle out of collecting and verifying contractor business information and registrations. Developed by HIA specifically to suit the needs of residential builders.

  • Save time and money – get on site quicker
  • Less time on paperwork and more time building

Take me there

Join Australia’s largest national association for the residential building industry.

Gain access to a huge range of industry products and business services. All designed to help you manage, operate and grow your business.


Why join HIA Join HIA

Got a question? We’re here to help

Put your mind at rest and speak to one of our industry experts, we’re confident that our extensive industry knowledge will cover whatever questions or issues you may have.