National Construction Code changes
The National Construction Code (NCC) has moved to a three year amendment cycle which resulted in an unprecedented level of changes that affect the residential building industry.
From March 2019, HIA partnered with James Hardie to hold nationwide seminars in preparation for the key changes that came into effect on 1 May 2019.
What was covered
The seminars covered a range of topics from both Volume 1 and 2 of the National Construction Code such as:
- Condensation management provisions
- Evidence of suitability requirements for building products
- Energy efficiency
- Fire safety provisions
- Roof and wall cladding, decks and balconies, smoke alarms and stairs and balustrades
- Changes to Australian Standards called up by the NCC
- Performance Solutions methods
- Mandatory sprinkler protection requirements for apartments
- Fire safety requirements for cladding and external walls provisions
- Requirements for roof top spaces for apartments.
The events were a must for:
- Trade contractors
- Construction and project managers
- Building surveyors/certifiers and
- People providing products to residential buildings.