HIA Making space on site: COVID-19 site induction
HIA has developed a COVID-19 site induction to help builders and trade contractors include COVID-19 into their regular site induction processes.
The HIA Making space on site: COVID-19 site induction uses the HIA SafeScan QR Code to enable a contactless site induction for everyone who enters a building site.
The one QR code can be used across all worksites wherever mobile device coverage is available.
The COVID-19 Site Induction QR code is not intended to be used for contact tracing purposes and does not meet relevant state and territory government requirements where a mandatory check-in is required.
Businesses that are required to collect mandatory contract tracing information can use either HIA’s Site Manager QR code, a government authorised QR code or other commercially available QR code that meets government requirements in your state or territory.
Note: QR codes are not mandatory for contact tracing purposes and businesses can choose other methods set out by your state or territory government.
How HIA SafeScan works
The following steps will help you with downloading and using the induction sign:
Builders and anyone responsible for managing access to a building site
- Download the HIA SafeScan COVID-19 site induction sign and add your preferred company email address for the return of completed site inductions.
- Make sure you are familiar with the process that people who enter your site will experience when they scan the QR Code:
- Scan the QR Code using a QR code reader app or on newer mobiles use your camera to access the link.
- Review the site induction form and the information that users will be requested to supply.
- Review the attachments in the form. These provide users with the HIA Making space on site guidelines for new homes or renovations.
- To test it works, fill in and submit the site induction form. Add in your preferred email address for receiving the completed induction forms to be sent to.
Note: if possible, create a dedicated email address for receipt of the site induction forms (PDF documents) for your company, or for a specific site/project.
- Print the site induction sign.
- Laminate the sign and place in a prominent location at the entrance/s to the building site (ideally located next to a copy of the HIA Making space on site guidelines for new homes or renovations).
- Email any trade contractors, employees or suppliers, who will access your building site, with information about the COVID-19 site induction and explain how your company will use it. This should include advice that before entering the site they should complete the COVID-19 site induction by:
- Accessing the COVID-19 site induction sign with the QR code.
- Scanning the QR Code using a QR code reader on their mobile device.
- Completing the site induction form on their mobile device.
Note: Where more than one person from the same company is completing the site induction a single form can be used.
- Submitting the completed site induction form to you by entering your preferred email address.
Visitors to a building site: trade contractors, employees or suppliers
Before you enter a building site all trade contractors, employees, suppliers and other visitors need to:
- Locate the COVID-19 site induction sign.
- Scan the QR Code on the sign using a QR code reader or camera on your mobile device.
- Complete the site induction form on your mobile device.
- Where more than one person from the same company is completing the site induction, add the name and signature of each person doing the induction into the form.
- Submit the completed site induction form to the builder/site supervisor by adding the preferred email address they have provided.
Download HIA SafeScan COVID-19 site induction