{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Housing industry insights Economics Insights Data & forecasts Tailored research and analysis Advocacy & policy Advocacy Policy priorities Position statements Submissions News and inspiration Industry news Member alerts Media releases HOUSING Online
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder & manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies & tool insurance Member perks Toyota vehicles The Good Guys Commercial Fuel savings See all Planning & safety solutions Building & planning services Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS) Solutions for your business Contracts Online Advertise jobs Trusted support & guidance Contracts & compliance support Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials & products Concrete, bricks & walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects Getting approval to build Sustainable homes See all
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Frequently asked questions Study with us Find a course to suit you Qualification courses Learning on demand A job in the industry Get your builder's licence Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Find jobs
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Mates rates Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Our initiatives HIA Building Women GreenSmart Kitchen, bathroom and design hub Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Support for you Charitable Foundation Mental health program
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Awards program People & Business Awards GreenSmart Australian Housing Awards Awards winners Regional Award winners Australian Housing Award winners 2024 Australian Home of the Year Enter online Industry events Events in the next month Economic outlook National Conference Events calendar
HIA shop
HIA shop $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Most popular products National Construction Code Vol 1 & 2 Waterproofing wet areas AS 3740:2021 HIA Guide to Waterproofing HIA Guide to NCC Livable Housing Provisions Top categories Building codes & standards Contracts & documents Guides & manuals Safety products Signage For your business Contracts Online Digital Australian Standards Digital Resource Library Forecasts & data
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Building consultants for residential building work

This policy states that HIA supports licensing of building consultant who provide advice to consumers with respect to residential building work.

HIA’s Position statement

  1. HIA supports the licensing or registration of building consultant.
  2. A building consultant is a person engaged directly by a client, or through an agent acting on behalf of a client to review building work completed.
  3. A building consultant provides the services of a building, pre-purchase and/or handover inspection including:
    • carrying out residential building inspections
    • preparing inspection, pre-completion, defect or similar reports, and
    • providing advice on remedial/rectification work/costs.
  4. A building consultant should:
    • have experience appropriate to the type of work they are inspecting
    • hold qualifications and competency appropriate to the type of work they are inspecting
    • hold appropriate PI insurance
    • be able to be held accountable for the observations, conclusions and recommendations outlined in their reports
    • be required to maintain knowledge of current building codes and standards, and
    • comply with all regulatory safety standards.

    Inspection reports

  5. When defects are identified by a building consultant during an inspection on behalf of a consumer they must be substantiated by reference to supporting documentation and evidence.
  6. Supporting documentation and evidence includes, but is not limited to, details on the relevant requirements from:
    • The National Construction Code and referenced Australian Standards.
    • Manufacturer’s instructions or specifications.
    • Government or industry guides to standards and tolerances.


    • Building consultants are now common place in the residential building industry, providing a range of services to purchasers of new and established homes, and contracting directly with consumers.
    • While building consultants provide pre-purchase property inspection reports for existing homes, a large portion of their work relates to the provision of pre-purchase inspections and reports for partly constructed or recently completed homes.
    • Building consultants are regularly engaged by clients during the building process, to act as the client’s representative in inspecting stage completions, to provide a defects/inspection report at practical completion, and/or to prepare a report prior to the expiration of the cooling off period.
    • Their influence on both the payment claim process and a client’s confidence (state of mind) can be substantial, despite many not having appropriate qualifications or experience in a relevant building, construction or engineering trade or profession.
    • There is currently no requirement in any jurisdiction that a building consultant be licensed or hold any formal qualifications, meaning there is limited regulatory control in relation to quality of advice, service standards, business conduct and discipline.

Policy endorsed by HIA National Policy Congress: May 2015; Re-endorsed with amendments 2020 (title change).

Share with your network:
More articles on:
{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find the latest expert advice, guides and much more!
HIA Advocacy
View all $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
31 May
Illegal Logging Prohibition Amendment Bill 2024

HIA prepared a submission to the Illegal Logging Prohibition Amendment (Strengthening Measures to Prevent Illegal Timber Trade) Bill 2024.

31 May
Building Bill 2024 - Consumer Protection (NSW)

HIA responded to the Consultation Paper on the Building Bill 2024 – Consumer protections for home building work (Paper) issued by the Building Commission in April 2024.

24 May
Jurisdiction of the Federal Safety Commissioner

Are your interested in tendering for federally funded government building work? Use HIA’s flowchart to help you determine if you are required to comply with the Federal Work Health and Safety accreditation scheme.

22 May
BCITF 2024 Statutory Review

Housing Industry Association (HIA) submission to the 2024 Statutory Review of the Building and Construction Industry Training Fund and Levy Collection Act 1990. Attracting, training, and retaining skilled workers is fundamental to the ability of the residential building industry to deliver the homes Australia needs.

22 May
Water supply development servicing plan NSW

HIA provided a submission to the City of Coffs Harbour Council (CCHC) on the update of the CCHC Development Servicing Plan Water Supply (DSP).

20 May
Statutory review of Civil Law (Sale of Residential Property) Act 2003 (ACT)

HIA took the opportunity to respond to the review of laws protecting off‐the‐plan home buyers from unfair contract cancellations.