Become a HIA apprentice
We’re always on the lookout for great people wanting to start or continue their apprenticeship in the building industry. Join HIA and let us guide you through your career and the process of becoming a qualified tradesperson.
During your apprenticeship, we give you all the support you need including mentoring and training. We’ll help you make a smooth transition from school to the workforce – we will be with you every step of the way!
We make sure you are paid correctly for the work you do and look after super, tax and long service leave
You'll be carefully matched to a host trainer in the trade you have chosen
We work closely with trade schools across Australia and will help you with your training plan
Plus, HIA provides recognition for outstanding apprentices through the HIA Apprentice Awards and offer scholarships to help apprentices to continue to develop qualifications once they finish their apprenticeship – to help them achieve a brighter future in the building industry.
What do I need to become an apprentice?
- Have an absolute desire to become a qualified tradesperson within the building industry
- A minimum year 10 qualification
- A car and drivers licence or reliable transport
- A good work ethic and willingness to learn new skills
Why choose HIA Apprentices?
HIA Apprentices will help you make a smooth transition from school to the workforce – we will be with you every step of the way.
- You will be carefully matched to a host trainer who is looking for an apprentice in the trade you have chosen.
- We work closely with trade schools across Australia and will help you with your training plan.
- We make sure that our apprentices are paid correctly for the work they do and look after superannuation, tax and long service leave.
- During your apprenticeship, we give you all the support you need including mentoring and training.
- HIA provides recognition for apprentices through the HIA Apprentice Awards.
Benefits of being an HIA apprentice
- paid on time and correctly for the work you do
- paid for your annual leave, sick leave and RDOs
- security of knowing you’re employed by a national employer
- flexibility in working conditions and job rotation so you can be multi skilled
- provided with your personal protective equipment including work boots
- supported with mentoring and safety training
- receive regular on-site visits from HIA Apprentices staff
- Enjoy manual labour and working outdoors
- Enjoy practical work
- Good hand-eye coordination
- Able to perform technical activities
- Able to interpret and follow plans
- Able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- Able to work in a team and communicate
Apart from learning my trade on site what else do I need to do?
While you will spend most of your time on the job, you will also spend time at trade school and you will gain additional knowledge and skills through accredited courses. You will learn in an environment where everyone is on the same wavelength, in the same industry, and with the same interests as you.
All this and you will be paid as well!
- Completed a pre-apprenticeship or VET in schools program at school or TAFE
- Have some trade exposure
- Completed an approved Construction Induction Training Course (CI card)
See what's on offer
Find out more