Overview of the Standard
This Australian Standard provides designers and installers with the minimum design requirements for correct and safe design and installation of sheet metal roof and wall cladding.
What does it Include?
The standard is structured into 5 sections and 5 appendices some of which are informative (not mandatory).
- Section 1 – includes the scope of the standard and definitions of terms used in the standard
- Section 2 – covers the requirements for materials that can used under the standard
- Section 3 – outlines the provisions for the design of a metal roof or wall cladding system
- Section 4 – provides very high-level guidance on the installation of metal cladding
- Section 5 provides the criteria and benchmarks which manufacturers must consider in testing their systems for compliance with the standard
Note: HB-39 provides a more detailed guide for the installation of metal cladding and may be more useful for installers of metal roof and wall cladding.
The standard also contains 5 information appendices consisting of:
- Appendix A provides information, which is not mandatory, about dealing with roof ventilation, water vapour and condensation
- Appendix B Informative information about water penetration
- Appendix C Informative information about material properties that covers the compatibility of different metals
- Appendix D is information which must be used to calculate roof pitch and drainage
- Appendix E covers bracing
Is the Standard referenced in NCC or other legislation?
Yes - referenced in the NCC Volume One Parts B1.4 & F1.5 and Volume Two Parts 184.108.40.206 & 220.127.116.11, providing Deemed-to-Satisfy Provisions for wall and roof cladding for buildings.
Who is the Standard for?
The primary users of this standard are building designers, engineers, installers, plumbers and builders.
Related Australian Standards
- AS 2312 Guide to the protection of iron and steel against exterior atmospheric corrosion
- AS 4600 Cold formed steel structures
- AS 4312 Atmospheric corrosivity zones in Australia
- HB 39 Installation code for metal roof and wall cladding
Related HIA information sheets
- HIA resource on SA HB 39 - Installation code for metal roof and wall cladding
Getting a copy of the Standard
An electronic copy of this Australian Standard can be purchased through the Digital Australian Standards webpage.