Overview of the Standard
AS 3958.1 provides guidance on the preparation of the background, the fixing and grouting of floor and wall tiles, and mosaic tiles. It also provides information on the application of tiles in swimming pools, gradients on floors, screeds and rendering, and cleaning and maintenance of tiles.
This Australian Standard applies to all work involved in the internal and external laying of ceramic wall and floor tiles. It deals with the types and classes of backgrounds and substrates and their suitability to receive a bedded finish.
What does it include?
AS 3958.1 contains 5 sections consisting of:
- Section 1: Deals with the Scope and General - section covering Scope, referenced Documents, Definitions, and Synonyms
- Section 2: Deals with Materials – Scope of section, ceramic and mosaic tiles, Primers, Adhesives, grouting materials, background materials, movement joint materials, Bonding Agents, Cement, sand and lime, Water, Separating layer for floors, Underlays, Reinforcement, storage and mixing of materials
- Section 3: Deals with Tiling Systems – scope of section, Floor Tiling Installation Guide
- Section 4: Preparation of Backgrounds for Tiling – Scope of Section, General, concrete Floors, Framed Floors, concrete/Masonry Walls, Framed Walls
- Section 5: Deals with Installation of Ceramic Tiles – Scope of Section, preliminary Considerations, Materials, General Criteria for Installation of Tiles, Installation of Ceramic Tiles with Cement Mortar, Installation of Ceramic Tiles with Adhesive. Grouting, Cleaning Tiles
This standard also contains 5 appendices consisting of:
- Appendix A is Non-Propriety Screeds
- Appendix B is Sand/Cement Rendering
- Appendix C is cleaning and Maintenance
- Appendix D Falls in Floor Finishes
- Appendix E Wet Conditions (Continuously Immersed)
Is this standard referenced in the NCC or Other Legislation?
This standard is not reference in the NCC. Though it is referenced in the majority of state and territory Standard and Tolerance Guide’s as a means for determining acceptable standards of workmanship in the installation of wall and floor tiles.
Who is the Standard for?
The standard is designed for builders, tilers, building supervisors and inspectors.
Related Australian Standards
- AS 3740 Waterproofing of wet areas
- AS 4654 External waterproofing
Related HIA Info Sheets
- HIA resource on AS 3740 Waterproofing of wet areas
- HIA resource on AS 4654.2 External waterproofing
Getting a copy of the Standard
An electronic copy of this Australian Standard can be purchased through the Digital Australian Standards webpage.