Overview of the Standard
The purpose of AS 2047 is to prescribe the requirements for windows and external glazed doors in buildings.
This Australian Standard covers the materials, testing, construction, installation and glazing for external windows, glazed doors, adjustable louvres, shopfronts and window walls with one-piece framing elements.
What does it include?
AS 2047 is broken into 8 sections consisting of:
- Section 1 deals with what the standard comprises of and includes references and definitions
- Section 2 deals with the performance criteria for window assemblies which are classified by a rating system for housing, and by design wind pressures for all class of buildings
- Section 3 deals with all the window framing and finishes
- Section 4 deals with glazing of the window
- Section 5 deals with all the components of the window
- Section 6 deals with the construction of the window assembly
- Section 7 deals with the installation requirements of a window assembly to a building which it is to be installed
- Section 8 deals with the labelling or a certificate provided for a window assembly
The standard also contains 7 informative appendices consisting of:
- Appendix A provides a guide on further information on wind loads for housing, and guidance to some design wind pressures for windows in all class building other than housing
- Appendix B gives information on the environmental effects produced by the erection of the structure or installation of equipment that would need to be considered. Covers durability and corrosion
- Appendix C provides information on the nomination of window ratings or design wind pressures for each window and door assembly
- Appendix D details the surface finish for aluminium
- Appendix E contains the on-site care of windows
- Appendix F (normative) provides generic timber designs which have been developed to provide a compliance path for small timber joineries that will not require testing
- Appendix G provides a table for generic window test results and includes the Bibliography
Is the Standard referenced in NCC or other legislation?
The Standard is referenced in both Volumes One and Two of the National Construction Code (NCC) for the materials, construction, testing and installation for windows and doors for all classes of buildings.
Who is the Standard for?
This standard primary users are window designers and manufacturers, testing authorities, builders, designers and building certifiers and surveyors.
Related Australian Standards
- AS 1288 Glass in buildings – Selection and installation
- AS 1926.1-2012 Swimming pool safety, Part 1: Safety barriers for swimming pools
- AS 4055 Wind loads for housing
Related HIA information sheets
Getting a copy of the Standard
An electronic copy of this Australian Standard can be purchased through the Digital Australian Standards webpage.