{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Economic research and forecasting Economics Housing outlook Tailored market research Economic reports and data Inspiring Australia's building professionals HOUSING The only place to get your industry news Media releases Member alerts Submissions See all
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder and manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies and tool insurance Planning and safety services Building and planning services How can HIA Safety help you? Independent site inspections Solutions for your business Contracts Online HIA Tradepass HIA SafeScan HR Docs Trusted legal support Legal advice and guidance Professional services Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials and products Concrete, bricks and walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Falls from heights Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects COVID-19 Getting approval to build Sustainable homes
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Hear what our apprentices say Advice for parents and guardians Study with us Find a course Get your builder's licence Learn with HIA
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Mates rates What we do Mental health program Charitable Foundation GreenSmart
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Australian Housing Awards Awards program National Conference Industry networking Events
HIA products
HIA products $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Shop @ HIA Digital Australian Standards Contracts Online Shipping and delivery Purchasing terms & conditions Products Building codes and standards Hard copy contracts Guides and manuals Safety and signage See all
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Fire-separating walls in Class 1 buildings

The information here contains details of the requirements for fire-separating wall construction for Class 1 and 10 residential buildings as set out in Part 3.7.3 of the National Construction Code (NCC) Volume Two – Housing Provisions.

What is a fire-separating wall?

Fire-separating walls (or party walls) are defined under Part 3.7.3 of the NCC as:

  • a wall that separates Class 1 dwellings, or
  • separating a Class 1 building from a Class 10a building which is not appurtenant to that Class 1 building.

These fire-separating walls must have a Fire Resistance Level (FRL) of not less than 60/60/60 or be of masonry construction of not less than 90 mm thick that:

  • commences from the footings or ground slabs, and
  • extends:
    • to the underside of a non-combustible roof covering, or
    • if the building has a combustible roof covering, then the separating wall must extend to not less than 450mm above the roof covering.

Designing a fire-separating wall

A separating wall that extends to the underside of a non-combustible roof covering must not be crossed by timber or other combustible building elements, except for roof battens with dimensions of 75 x 50mm or less, or roof sarking. Any gap between the top of the wall and the underside of the roof covering must be packed with mineral fibre or other suitable fire-resisting material.

Where a building has a masonry veneer external wall, any gap between the separating wall and the external masonry veneer must be:

  • not more than 50mm, and
  • packed with mineral fibre or other suitable fire-resistant material with the packing arranged to maintain any weatherproofing requirements (details contained in Part 3.3.4 of the NCC, Volume 2).

Eaves, verandahs and similar spaces that are open to the roof space and are common to more than one Class 1 dwelling must be separated by a non-combustible lining. Any service openings in a masonry separating wall must have an FRL of not less than -/60/60.

More details are provided in Clause  in relation to electrical wires and cables penetrating a separating wall, including electrical switches, outlets, sockets or the like in a separating wall.

FRL or Fire-Resistance Level is denoted with three figures – for example, in FRL 60/60/60, the first figure denotes a ‘structural adequacy’ period of 60 minutes; the second figure denotes an ‘integrity’ period of 60 minutes; and the third figure denotes an ‘insulation’ period of 60 minutes. A dash indicates that there is no requirement for that criterion such as -/60/- where the criterion is 60 minutes for integrity only. 

To find out more, contact HIA’s Building Services team.

Email us

Share with your network:

More articles on:

{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find guides, how-tos, resources and more

Business support


Supporting building professionals with custom built services and products.

  • Legal support
  • Contracts Online
  • Host an apprentice
  • Insurance services
  • Managing safety

Explore Business support

Building it right topics


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.