{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Economic research and forecasting Economics Housing outlook Tailored market research Economic reports and data Inspiring Australia's building professionals HOUSING The only place to get your industry news Newsroom
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host an HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder and manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies and tool insurance Paperwork gone digital Contracts Online HIA Tradepass HR Docs SafeScan - managing workplace safety Planning and safety services Building and planning services How can HIA Safety help you? Independent site inspections Trusted legal support Legal advice and guidance Professional services Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials and products Concrete, bricks and walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Falls from heights Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects COVID-19 Getting approval to build Sustainable homes
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Hear what our apprentices say Advice for parents and guardians Study with us Find a course Get your builder's licence Qualifications Learn with HIA
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Mates Rates What we do Mental health program Charitable Foundation GreenSmart
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Australian Housing Awards Awards program National Conference Industry networking Events
HIA products
HIA products $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Shop @ HIA Products Digital Australian Standards Contracts Online Shipping and delivery Purchasing terms & conditions
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

NCC Volume Two Allowable Encroachments

What is an ‘Encroachment’?

An encroachment relates to the fire safety provisions in National Construction Code (NCC) Volume Two and is any construction between the external wall of the building and the allotment boundary, other than a boundary adjoining a road or other public space.

It can also be the external walls of two buildings on the same allotment or the external wall of the building and the vertical projection of an adjoining building on the same allotment.

The general aim of the fire safety provisions is to protect a Class 1 building from spread of fire via another building on the same site or via a neighbouring property. 

The Deemed-to-Satisfy (DTS) Provisions in NCC Part 3.7 Fire Safety satisfy this requirement by requiring fire-resisting external walls or separation. 


When an item of construction exists in the setback zone between an external wall and either the property boundary or another building, that construction is an encroachment and must meet certain parameters so it won't compromise the prevention of fire spread.

Common encroachments include building service units, such as water heaters and air-conditioning units, and building elements such as eaves, gutters and downpipes. 

NCC Volume Two Clause contains controls to manage the risk of fire spread presented by different types of encroachments.

Clause and (d) divide the encroachment space into two ‘zones’:

  • Encroachments within 900 mm of the boundary, or 1.8 m of a non-associated building. These include:
    • non-combustible fascia’s, gutters and downpipes
    • light fittings, electricity or gas meters, aerials or antennas
    • pergolas, sun blinds or water tanks
    • unroofed terraces, landings, steps and ramps, not more than 1 m in height.
  • Encroachments up to, but not closer than, 450 mm from the boundary, or 900 mm from a non-associated building. These include:
    • eaves with non-combustible roof cladding and non-combustible lining
    • flues, chimneys, pipes, domestic fuel tanks, cooling or heating appliances or other services. (refer to figures 1 & 2 regarding allowable eave encroachments)


Figure 1


Figure 2

If you have an external wall of a building and the vertical projection of an adjoining building on the same allotment the allowable encroachments are non-combustible fascia’s, gutters and downpipes. (see figure 3).


Figure 3

Gable eave overhangs

It is sometimes not clear that when you have a wall within 900mm of a boundary that needs to be fire resistant, and whether it is permissible for the eave overhang at a gable end encroach within 450mm of the boundary?

It is somewhat unclear due to the NCC provisions stating that an encroachment is any construction between the external wall of the building and the allotment boundary etc.:

An encroachment is any construction between—

(i)the external wall of the building and the allotment boundary other than a boundary adjoining a road or other public space;

Though in this situation there is no need for the eave encroachment to comply as the eave section facing the boundary shown is not between a wall and a boundary and the front and the sides of the eave would generally be more than 450mm from a boundary or facing a road.

The following diagram shows this situation in a plan view.


Figure 4

It is good to note that the encroachment provisions are not applicable to subterranean pipes (such as drainage pipes) because being below ground they are not located between the wall and the boundary. 

A garden tap is also not an encroachment because it is not construction to which refers. 

It’s also important to consider any State or Territory requirements for siting of buildings in relation to setbacks as these will also need to be complied with as well as the NCC allowable encroachment provisions.


To find out more, contact HIA's Workplace Services team

Email us

Share with your network:

More articles on:

{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find guides, how-tos, resources and more
Latest articles
View all news $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
22 Nov
SA responding to a positive case of COVID-19

Throughout the pandemic rules regarding how a business should respond to a positive case of COVID-19 have been in place. These rules generally involve either notification by SA Health to the individual potentially affected or notification by the business to SA Health if they become aware that their workplace may have been impacted by a positive case of COVID-19.

22 Nov
Further changes for Territory COVID-19 restrictions

The Chief Minister has confirmed that the current lockdown restrictions for Robinson River and surrounding regions will move to a ‘lockout’ arrangement immediately and until 1 December.

19 Nov
VIC update - Windfall Gains Tax and COVID-19 restrictions

This week has seen the release of important information regarding measures that will significantly impact the residential building industry.

19 Nov
New activity remains strong in WA heading into 2022

HIA WA Executive Director Cath Hart says the current boom in home building in WA will be sustained throughout 2022, with consumer appetite for new homes continuing despite the end of the building grants.

Managing your business


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.

Explore resources

Business support


Supporting building professionals with custom built services and products.

  • Legal support
  • Contracts Online
  • Host an HIA apprentice
  • Insurance services
  • Managing safety

Explore Business support