{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Economic research and forecasting Economics Housing outlook Tailored market research Economic reports and data Inspiring Australia's building professionals HOUSING The only place to get your industry news Media releases Member alerts Submissions See all
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder and manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies and tool insurance Planning and safety services Building and planning services How can HIA Safety help you? Independent site inspections Solutions for your business Contracts Online HIA Tradepass HIA SafeScan HR Docs Trusted legal support Legal advice and guidance Professional services Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials and products Concrete, bricks and walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Falls from heights Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects COVID-19 Getting approval to build Sustainable homes
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Hear what our apprentices say Advice for parents and guardians Study with us Find a course Get your builder's licence Learn with HIA
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Mates rates What we do Mental health program Charitable Foundation GreenSmart
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Australian Housing Awards Awards program National Conference Industry networking Events
HIA products
HIA products $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Shop @ HIA Digital Australian Standards Contracts Online Shipping and delivery Purchasing terms & conditions Products Building codes and standards Hard copy contracts Guides and manuals Safety and signage See all
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Vapour barrier requirements

The NCC has specific requirements in relation to the material you must use for a vapour barrier and damp-proofing membrane, but are you aware of the requirements and does the product you are using meet these requirements?

In this article

  • Are you using the correct material?
  • NCC requirements regarding vapour barriers
  • SA and NSW variations
  • NCC materials compliance requirements
  • NCC evidence of suitability provisions
  • Further information

Are you using the correct material?

A vapour barrier is required by the National Construction Code (NCC) Volume Two under slab-on-ground construction for all Class 1 buildings and Class 10 buildings where the slab is a continuation of the Class 1 slab.

The information below has been prepared to assist practitioners to understand the requirements related to vapour barriers and damp-proofing membranes and what product technical information you should be looking for to ensure the products you are using comply with the NCC and relevant Australian Standards.

NCC requirements regarding vapour barriers

As stated above, a vapour barrier is required by the NCC under slab-on-ground construction for all Class 1 buildings and Class 10 buildings where the slab is a continuation of the Class 1 slab.

The NCC nominates the required material and thickness and the impact-resistant level for the barrier and the resistance to puncture and moisture penetration and also that the barrier be continuously branded for easy identification.

The NCC also references AS 2870 for residential slabs and footings, which also provides information relating to the required impact resistance and thickness of the vapour barrier and moisture penetration resistance.

The Standard goes on to provide methods to determine the required properties of the material, including the average thickness of the film and how to determine the required impact resistance for medium and high impact and the vapour permeance test.

There is also a requirement to determine the resistance to puncture and moisture penetration that relates to penetration resistance to falling aggregate that will occur when the slab is poured.

The NCC requires a vapour barrier be a nominal 0.2mm thick (or 200 µm, which is the thickness in microns) polyethylene film, be medium impact resistant and be branded continuously ‘AS 2870 Concrete underlay, 0.2mm medium impact resistance’.

It may not always be possible to determine this just by the packaging on the vapour barrier and damp-proofing membrane, if indeed it does have packaging. 

SA and NSW variations

South Australia and New South Wales have variations to the NCC provisions that require a damp-proofing membrane as described in the variation, to have ‘high impact resistance’ rather than the medium-impact resistance required in other states and territories.

It also must be branded continuously “AS 2870 Concrete underlay, 0.2mm high impact resistance”.

This is most important to consider if you work ‘cross border’. You should not just assume that the requirements are the same everywhere.

In areas prone to rising damp and salt attack, AS 2870 recommends the use of damp-proofing membranes also under slabs.

NCC materials compliance requirements

Compliance with the NCC is required not just for the installation of vapour barriers and damp-proofing membrane – the materials must also comply. It’s not the case that you can do one and ignore the other you – must comply with both to satisfy building legislation.

Manufacturers and suppliers generally have an obligation to supply materials that are to be used in the residential building industry that are fit for purpose and, where required, comply with the NCC.

Even so, you should understand what is required under the NCC and ensure the products you use comply. This is set out in the evidence of suitability provisions of the NCC.

These provisions are listed at A5.0 - A5.2 (formerly A2.1-A2.2) in Volume Two.

NCC evidence of suitability provisions

Part A5 of each Volume of the NCC contains the documentation of design and construction provisions. 

A5.2 lists the types of evidence that can be used to demonstrate that the materials, products, forms of construction and design are fit for their intended purpose and meet the requirements of the NCC.

One such method is a product technical statement. This statement provided by the manufacturer will specify the product, how and when it can be used and the performance requirements that it satisfies, and limitations or conditions on the use of the product and testing data or certification information.

In purchasing vapour barrier materials, it is important to access and check the technical data sheet that should accompany the product for the properties of the material, compliance with relevant requirements of AS 2870. You should also ensure you check the suitability for the impact-resistance rating. 

These technical data sheets can generally be sourced directly from the product suppliers or manufacturer. The relevant building surveyor or certifier may also request this information as part of the building approval documents.

Also talk to your supplier to ensure you are receiving the correct material and ask them to provide the documentation that should accompany the product, such as a technical data sheet.

Be aware that in most circumstances, the builder will have responsibility to the home owner should a product that is installed not meet the requirements of the Standard. Therefore, if there is any doubt about the compliance of a product that has been supplied, you should ask further questions about its compliance prior to purchase or installation.

Further information

For further information on required materials and installation of vapour barriers refer to the BCA part Vapour barriers and AS 2870 clause

An information handbook on the NCC evidence of suitability provisions can be accessed from the ABCB website.

To find out more, contact HIA’s Building Services team.

Email us

Share with your network:

More articles on:

{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find guides, how-tos, resources and more

Business support


Supporting building professionals with custom built services and products.

  • Legal support
  • Contracts Online
  • Host an apprentice
  • Insurance services
  • Managing safety

Explore Business support

Building it right topics


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.