{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Housing industry insights Economics Data & forecasts Tailored research and analysis Advocacy & policy Advocacy Policy priorities Position statements Submissions News and inspiration Industry news Member alerts Media releases HOUSING Online
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder & manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies & tool insurance Planning & safety solutions Building & planning services HIA SafeScan Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS) Solutions for your business Contracts Online HIA Tradepass Advertise jobs Trusted support & guidance Contracts & compliance support Professional services Industrial relations Member savings Toyota vehicles The Good Guys Commercial Fuel savings See all
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials & products Concrete, bricks & walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Falls from heights Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects COVID-19 Getting approval to build Sustainable homes See all
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Frequently asked questions Study with us Find a course to suit you Qualification courses Learning on demand A job in the industry Get your builder's licence Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Find jobs
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Mates rates Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Our initiatives HIA Building Women GreenSmart Kitchen, bathroom and design hub Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Support for you Charitable Foundation Mental health program
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Awards program People & Business Awards GreenSmart Australian Housing Awards Awards winners Regional Award winners Australian Housing Award winners 2024 Australian Home of the Year Enter online Industry events Events in the next month Economic outlook National Conference Events calendar
HIA products
HIA products $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Shop @ HIA Digital Australian Standards Contracts Online Shipping & delivery Purchasing T&Cs See all Products Purchase NCC 2022 Building codes & standards Economic reports Hard copy contracts Guides & manuals
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Portable Long Service Leave (PLSL) and Coronavirus

The building and construction industry has a unique, state/territory-based portable long service leave (PLSL) scheme for those who have been in the industry for between 5–10 years or longer.

Accessing the PLSL scheme

Accessing the PLSL scheme may be an option for you to take up in light of COVID-19 and any changes in your working arrangements.

Depending on the state or territory, those eligible for the leave may be entitled to a lump sum payment, or paid time-off for between 8 to 13 weeks. Pro-rata payments or time off will apply in some places.

Unlike other state-based long service leave arrangements, the entitlement to PLSL is based on the period of service spent in the industry, as opposed to the period of time spent working for the same employer.

Employees who have been working in the industry for the required period of time are entitled to make a claim for PLSL. Employees will be eligible as well as certain contractors, directors and the self-employed in some states. See below for further details on eligibility.

If you are eligible and have been recording your service, HIA recommends contacting your relevant state-based PLSL provider or contacting a HIA Workplace Adviser for more information.

South Australia – Portable Leave Long Service Leave
Northern Territory – NT Build
Tasmania – Tas Build
Victoria – CoINVEST
Queensland – Qleave
NSW – Long Service Corporation
ACT – Long Service Leave Authority

Who is entitled to PLSL?

  • Employees
  • Contractors
  • Working directors and self-employed contractors who have voluntarily opted-in to the scheme.
  • Employees
  • Contractors providing substantially labour only
  • Foreperson or sub-foreperson performing building and supervision work
  • Company directors who have voluntarily opted-in to the scheme.

Type of engagement not covered:

  • Subcontractors who provide principal materials or significant plant as part of the contract
  • Individuals who are paid to achieve a stated result or outcome and supply all, or substantially all, of the plant and equipment or tools of trade needed to perform the work and are, or would be, liable for the cost of fixing a fault with the work performed
Individuals who have a personal services business determination under the APSI test. 
  • Employees
  • Labour-only contractors will be covered if they:
    o undertake to produce a ‘given result’ for a fixed fee
    o provide the materials and/or equipment necessary to undertake the task
    o have an unfettered discretion to delegate the work
    o bear the risk of making a loss in running a business through incurring significant expenses related to the income earned, and
    o provide services to the general public and not just the principal.
  • Employees
  • Working directors and self-employed contractors who have voluntarily opted-in to the scheme.
  • Employees
  • Labour only contractors
  • Working directors and self-employed contractors who have voluntarily opted-in to the scheme.
  • Employees
  • Working directors and self-employed contractors who have voluntarily opted-in to the scheme.
  • Workers including foremen but not supervisors.
  • Working directors and self-employed contractors who have voluntarily opted-in to the scheme.
  • Employees
  • Contractors
  • Working directors and self-employed contractors who have voluntarily opted-in to the scheme.

To find out more, contact HIA's Contracts and Compliance team

Email us

Share with your network:
More articles on:
{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find the latest expert advice, guides and much more!

Business support


Supporting building professionals with custom built services and products.

  • Contracts and compliance support
  • Contracts Online
  • Host an apprentice
  • Insurance Services
  • Managing safety
  • Savings for members and much more!

Explore Business support

HIA Tradepass


HIA Tradepass takes the hassle out of collecting and verifying contractor business information and registrations. Developed by HIA specifically to suit the needs of residential builders.

  • Save time and money – get on site quicker
  • Less time on paperwork and more time building

Take me there