{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Housing industry insights Economics Data & forecasts Tailored research and analysis Advocacy & policy Advocacy Policy priorities Position statements Submissions News and inspiration Industry news Member alerts Media releases HOUSING Online
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder & manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies & tool insurance Member perks Toyota vehicles The Good Guys Commercial Fuel savings See all Planning & safety solutions Building & planning services Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS) Solutions for your business Contracts Online Advertise jobs Trusted support & guidance Contracts & compliance support Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials & products Concrete, bricks & walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects Getting approval to build Sustainable homes See all
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Frequently asked questions Study with us Find a course to suit you Qualification courses Learning on demand A job in the industry Get your builder's licence Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Find jobs
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Mates rates Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Our initiatives HIA Building Women GreenSmart Kitchen, bathroom and design hub Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Support for you Charitable Foundation Mental health program
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Awards program People & Business Awards GreenSmart Australian Housing Awards Awards winners Regional Award winners Australian Housing Award winners 2024 Australian Home of the Year Enter online Industry events Events in the next month Economic outlook National Conference Events calendar
HIA shop
HIA shop $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Most popular products National Construction Code Vol 1 & 2 Waterproofing wet areas AS 3740:2021 HIA Guide to Waterproofing HIA Guide to NCC Livable Housing Provisions Top categories Building codes & standards Contracts & documents Guides & manuals Safety products Signage For your business Contracts Online Digital Australian Standards Digital Resource Library Forecasts & data
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Travelling over the Queensland/NSW border

Restrictions are in place for both Queensland and NSW borders.

This Information Sheet outlines the Queensland Government rules that currently impact both Queensland and NSW residents moving across this border. 

The Queensland/NSW border is essentially closed, however, if you are a border zone resident you are able to travel across the border for an essential purpose, on the basis that you have received one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.  

The ‘border zone’

The border zone allows for:

  • A NSW border zone resident to cross the border into Queensland for an essential purpose with an entry pass; and
  • A Queensland resident to enter the NSW border zone for an essential purpose.

An essential purpose includes, but is not limited to:

  • performing essential work – essential work includes work that cannot be reasonably done from home and includes all residential building work
  • getting food or other goods or services for the personal needs of the household or other household purposes, including for pets, and for vulnerable persons
  • accessing medical or health care or get medical supplies
  • getting a COVID-19 vaccine; and/or
  • getting a COVID-19 test.

The border zone includes 12 local government areas on the NSW side of the border.

If you live in one of the local government areas listed below, you are a ‘border zone resident’:

Ballina, Byron, Clarence Valley, Glen Innes Severn, Gwydir, Inverell, Kyogle, Lismore, Moree Plains, Richmond Valley, Tenterfield, and Tweed.

Travel permit requirements

Queensland Entry Pass

A Queensland Entry Pass is required for anyone entering Queensland, including a Queensland resident who is re-entering Queensland after having travelled to the NSW border zone.

You must complete the Entry Pass three days prior to travelling to Queensland. A Queensland Entry Pass is valid for 14 days from the date you complete it and you will not be permitted to cross the border if you have visited a COVID-19 hotspot or had anyone in your home from a COVID-19 hotspot in the past 14 days.

You will need to complete a new Queensland Entry Pass if your circumstances have changed between the time you completed the pass and entry to Queensland. For example, if you develop COVID-19 symptoms within 14 days of completing the pass.

Queensland Border Pass

Construction workers who need to travel across the Queensland/NSW border must also apply for a Queensland Border Pass.

Vaccination requirements

To cross the Queensland/NSW border you are required to have had at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.

What evidence should I carry with me when crossing the border?

When travelling between Queensland and the NSW border zone you should ensure you have:

  • the completed relevant Entry Pass/Border Pass
  • evidence of receiving a dose of the COVID-19 vaccine; and
  • evidence that you are either a Queensland resident or a New South Wales border zone resident, for example a driver’s license, rates notice, or other utility bill.

Border travel FAQs

I am a Queensland resident or a NSW border zone resident– where can I travel to and from?

If you are a Queensland resident, you can only travel across the border into the NSW border zone for an essential purpose.

If you are a NSW resident who lives in the NSW border zone, you can only travel into Queensland for an essential purpose.

I am a NSW resident that lives outside the border zone - where can I travel to and from?

Aside from those local government areas listed above, the Queensland border is closed to the rest of NSW and you cannot enter Queensland unless you have an exemption.

Want to know more?

Further details can be found and please do not hesitate to contact HIA on 1300 650 620 or at enquiry@hia.com.au

Share with your network:
More articles on:
{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find the latest expert advice, guides and much more!

Managing your business


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.

Explore resources