{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Economic research and forecasting Economics Housing outlook Tailored market research Economic reports and data Inspiring Australia's building professionals HOUSING The only place to get your industry news Newsroom
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host an HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder and manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies and tool insurance Paperwork gone digital Contracts Online HIA Tradepass HR Docs SafeScan - managing workplace safety Planning and safety services Building and planning services How can HIA Safety help you? Independent site inspections Trusted legal support Legal advice and guidance Professional services Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials and products Concrete, bricks and walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Falls from heights Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects COVID-19 Getting approval to build Sustainable homes
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Hear what our apprentices say Advice for parents and guardians Study with us Find a course Get your builder's licence Qualifications Learn with HIA
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Mates Rates What we do Mental health program Charitable Foundation GreenSmart
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Australian Housing Awards Awards program National Conference Industry networking Events
HIA products
HIA products $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Shop @ HIA Products Digital Australian Standards Contracts Online Shipping and delivery Purchasing terms & conditions
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Certification and data reporting

From 1 July 2018, Principal Certifying Authorities (PCA) are required to report to the Building Professionals Board (BPB) on particular matters related to development. The information here provides an outline of the new requirements.

Changes to NSW government legislation

The NSW government amended the Building Professionals Act in 2016 and Building Professionals Regulation in 2017 to facilitate the collection of data about certification work, building work and related matters. The changes were authorised by the Secretary of the Department of Finance, Services and Innovation to collect this information for the purpose of improving the way the certification industry performs and better managing the way it is regulated. 

On 22 June 2018 the Building Professionals (Provision of Information) Order 2018 (the Order) was made in pursuance of clause 20G of the Building Professionals Regulation 2007. 

The stated object of the Order is to specify the information about certification work, building work and related matters that A1, A2 and A3 accreditation holders, accredited bodies corporate and councils must provide to the BPB. 

What work does this apply to? 

Any building work where a PCA is required to be appointed, regardless of whether a council or a private certifier is appointed as the PCA. 

When must reporting commence? 

Data reporting is mandatory as of 1 July 2018. The BPB has advised that to enforce compliance, it will focus on education in the first six months to help councils and certifiers meet the requirements. 

The trigger to report on a particular project is two days before building work commences, which aligns with the PCA’s notification duties under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act. 

Who must report data? 

The PCA has responsibility to report data. This includes councils, category A1, A2 and A3 certifiers and accredited bodies corporate. 
Certifiers in categories A4, B1, C1-C16, D1 and E1 are not required to report data, but their existing, legislated recordkeeping requirements still apply. 

What must be reported? 

Data is submitted throughout the development process from commencement of building work through to the issue of the final occupation certificate. It includes details of the development, parties involved, critical stage inspections, certificates and notices. 
More information can found on the Building Professionals Boards website.

To find out more, contact HIA’s Building Services team.

Email us

Share with your network:

More articles on:

{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find guides, how-tos, resources and more

Contracts Online 

The industry’s go-to digital platform. 

No matter the size of the job, a watertight building contract is critical to protect your business, and the current climate presents a great opportunity to go digital with your contracts.

Take me there

Building it right topics


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.