{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Economic research and forecasting Economics Housing outlook Tailored market research Economic reports and data Inspiring Australia's building professionals HOUSING The only place to get your industry news Media releases Member alerts Submissions See all
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder and manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies and tool insurance Planning and safety services Building and planning services How can HIA Safety help you? Independent site inspections Solutions for your business Contracts Online HIA Tradepass HIA SafeScan HR Docs Trusted legal support Legal advice and guidance Professional services Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials and products Concrete, bricks and walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Falls from heights Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects COVID-19 Getting approval to build Sustainable homes
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Hear what our apprentices say Advice for parents and guardians Study with us Find a course Get your builder's licence Learn with HIA
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Mates rates What we do Mental health program Charitable Foundation GreenSmart
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Australian Housing Awards Awards program National Conference Industry networking Events Building and Renovation Home Show
HIA products
HIA products $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Shop @ HIA Digital Australian Standards Contracts Online Shipping and delivery Purchasing terms & conditions Products Building codes and standards Hard copy contracts Guides and manuals Safety and signage See all
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Updated water meter relocation process

The WA Water Corporation have recently issued guidance on the new water meter relocation process seeking to ensure that the process is clear and effective for any modifications to the water supply for a property.

This process is prescribed to ensure any property is not without water for longer than the minimum necessary time to make a new connection.

All works must be carried out by a licensed plumber, and all plumbers are reminded to use electrical bondage straps on all pipework before breaking existing connections.

What’s the new process?

A licensed plumber must provide a temporary water supply from the internal-side of the existing meter bend location, to a new brass connection in the agreed location, ready to accept the relocated water meter.

The new brass connection must then continue the existing water supply to the property with a permanent connection.

This process will ensure a continued supply service to the property, with only the works required to relocate the meter and make new junctions interrupting the supply service.

Customers should review the requirements around relocating an existing water meter on the Water Corporation’s website before agreeing to any new internal pipework locations.

What about the water meter connection itself?

The water meter remains an asset of the Water Corporation.

The relocation of the mains supply service, to the asset, is scheduled once payment for the Meter Relocation Service has been received and confirmation is provided that the internal pipework has been relocated by a licensed plumber. The Water Corporation will not provide temporary pipework relocation services within any property boundary.

The Water Corporation’s Water Supply Service Fees remain the same, being a fee for a relocation under 500mm distance (whereby only pipe manipulation is required), and a fee for relocation over 500mm distance (where a new mains cut-in is required).

Additional fees are also payable if the new meter location is agreed to, below ground – in which case, a cast-iron inspection box will be required as well.

What if I have any questions?

The Water Corporation cannot advise on general plumbing requirements or technical matters surrounding internal plumbing (within a property boundary). These queries should be forwarded either to HIA Technical, Department of Mines, Industry and Regulation (DMIRS) Building and Energy division, or the Plumbers Technical Advice Line on 1300 360 897.

To find out more, contact HIA’s Building Services team.

Email us

Share with your network:

More articles on:

{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find guides, how-tos, resources and more

Contracts Online 

The industry’s go-to digital platform. 

No matter the size of the job, a watertight building contract is critical to protect your business, and the current climate presents a great opportunity to go digital with your contracts.

Take me there

Building it right topics


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.

You may consider buying

AS/NZS 3500.1:2018 Plumbing and drainage, Part 1: Water Services - Downloadable

This Standard specifies requirements for the design, installation and commissioning of cold water services from a point of connection to the points of...

AS/NZS 3500.2:2018 Plumbing and drainage, Part 2: Sanitary plumbing and drainage - Downloadable

This Standard specifies requirements for the design and installation of sanitary plumbing and drainage from the fixtures to a sewer, common effluent s...

AS/NZS 3500.3:2018 Plumbing and drainage, Part 3: Stormwater drainage - Downloadable

This Standard specifies requirements for materials, design, installation and testing of roof drainage systems, surface drainage systems and subsoil dr...

AS/NZS 3000:2018 Electrical installations (known as the Aus/New Zealand Wiring Rules) - Downloadable

This Standard sets out the requirements for the design, construction and verification of electrical installations, including the selection and install...

AS/NZS 5601.1:2013 Gas installations - Part 1: General installations - Downloadable

This Standard contains the mandatory requirements and means of compliance for design, installation and commissioning of gas installations in buildings...