{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Economic research and forecasting Economics Housing outlook Tailored market research Economic reports and data Inspiring Australia's building professionals HOUSING The only place to get your industry news Media releases Member alerts Submissions See all
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder and manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies and tool insurance Planning and safety services Building and planning services How can HIA Safety help you? Independent site inspections Solutions for your business Contracts Online HIA Tradepass HIA SafeScan HR Docs Trusted legal support Legal advice and guidance Professional services Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials and products Concrete, bricks and walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Falls from heights Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects COVID-19 Getting approval to build Sustainable homes
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Hear what our apprentices say Advice for parents and guardians Study with us Find a course Get your builder's licence Learn with HIA
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Mates rates What we do Mental health program Charitable Foundation GreenSmart
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Australian Housing Awards Awards program National Conference Industry networking Events
HIA products
HIA products $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Shop @ HIA Digital Australian Standards Contracts Online Shipping and delivery Purchasing terms & conditions Products Building codes and standards Hard copy contracts Guides and manuals Safety and signage See all
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Streamlining strata registration

The WA Department of Mines, Industry, Regulation and Safety has made amendments to the Strata Title Act 1985, Building Act 2011 and Building Regulations 2012 . Find out how the amendments affect registering or amending a scheme plan in future.

Lodging a strata plan for registration

Currently sections 5B and 8A of the Strata Titles Act 1985 (STA) and section 50 of the Building Act 2011 (Building Act) require a person lodging a strata plan for registration, or to re-subdivide a lot in a strata scheme under the STA, to obtain either:

  • an occupancy permit (OP strata) BA12
  • a building approval certificate (BAC strata) BA16.

This creates duplication and extra costs for a strata proponent because the Building Act also requires each owner of a Class 2 – 9 building to obtain a separate general occupancy permit to occupy the building.

However, both types of occupancy permit essentially demonstrate that the building is safe to occupy and use.

What is changing?

These requirements are replaced with new requirements for registering or amending a scheme plan (strata plan or survey-strata plan).

Under the Building Act for each strata scheme building, these include a requirement for an application to register or amend a scheme plan to be accompanied by either:

  • a general occupancy permit (BA9), or
  • a general building approval certificate (BA16).

Whether an occupancy permit or building approval certificate is needed will depend on the building’s classification and circumstances as determined by the Building Act.

A strata proponent will no longer need to obtain an additional OP strata (BA12) or a BAC strata (BA16) in order to lodge such an application.

Effect on the Building Regulations

Amendments to the Building Regulations will:

  • create new definitions of managed reserve, management body, road and strata leasehold estate
  • amend provisions about owners, replacing references to ‘land held in freehold’ with ‘land held in freehold or held in leasehold under a strata lease’, reflecting lease-hold strata tenure
  • amend the applicable building standards by removing references to an OP strata and a BAC strata in the Building Act
  • delete regulation 39, no longer relevant due to the deletion of reference to an OP strata and a BAC strata.

What about the Building Act forms?

The following changes to Building Act forms will be made at the same time section 50 of the Building Act is removed and changes are made to the Building Regulations.

Forms to be discontinued:

  • BA11 Application for occupancy permit strata
  • BA15 Application for building approval certificate strata
  • BA12 Occupancy permit strata
  • BA16 Building approval certificate strata.

Forms to be amended for the applicant:

  • BA9 Application for occupancy permit
  • BA13 Application for building approval certificate.

Forms to be amended for the permit authority:

  • BA10 Occupancy permit
  • BA14 Building approval certificate.

What do these changes mean for me?

These changes predominantly affect those currently applying for subdivision, or seeking to register a subdivision after 1 May 2020. This will mainly affect those undertaking development and design, as opposed to builders and trades generally.

A detailed breakdown of the changes, including a table of the proposed changes, can be found in Industry Bulletin 127 on the DMIRS website.

To find out more, contact HIA’s Building Services team.

Email us

Share with your network:

More articles on:

{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find guides, how-tos, resources and more

Building it right topics


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.

Business support


Supporting building professionals with custom built services and products.

  • Legal support
  • Contracts Online
  • Host an apprentice
  • Insurance services
  • Managing safety

Explore Business support