{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Economic research & forecasting Economics Housing outlook Tailored market research Economic reports & data Inspiring Australia's building professionals Business & digital Products & innovation Projects HOUSING Online The only place to get your industry news Media releases Member alerts Submissions See all
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder & manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies & tool insurance Planning & safety solutions Building & planning services How can safety solutions help you? Independent site inspections Solutions for your business Contracts Online HIA Tradepass HIA SafeScan Advertise jobs Trusted support & guidance Contracts & compliance support Professional services Industrial relations Member savings Toyota vehicles Fuel savings Handy pay See all
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials & products Concrete, bricks & walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Falls from heights Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects COVID-19 Getting approval to build Sustainable homes See all
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Frequently asked questions Study with us Find a course to suit you Qualification courses Learning on demand A job in the industry Get your builder's licence Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Find jobs
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Mates rates Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Our initiatives GreenSmart Kitchen, bathroom and design hub Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Support for you Charitable Foundation Mental health program
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Awards program People & Business Awards GreenSmart Australian Housing Awards Awards winners Regional Award winners Australian Housing Award winners 2023 Australian Home of the Year Enter online Industry events Events in the next month Economic outlook National Conference Events calendar
HIA products
HIA products $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Shop @ HIA Digital Australian Standards Contracts Online Shipping & delivery Purchasing T&Cs See all Products Purchase NCC 2022 Building codes & standards Economic reports Hard copy contracts Guides & manuals
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Compliance information for kitchen and bathroom businesses

In ACT, in general terms, you must be licensed to complete work that requires building approval. The type of licence you will need to have depends on the type of work that you intend to carry out. It’s important that you know what licence you need and that you do not do work outside the scope of that licence. All licence classes have different experience and qualification requirements as a condition of that licence.

What licence do I need?

There are four classes of builders in the ACT and these licence categories are explained below.

Class A

Building work other than specialist building work or handling asbestos.

Class B

In general terms this licence authorises:

  • building work (other than specialist building work or handling asbestos) in relation to a building that is three storeys or lower
  • basic building work.

Class C

In general terms this licence authorises:

  • building work (other than specialist building work or handling asbestos) in relation to a building that is two storeys or lower and is a Class 1, Class 2 or Class 10a building
  • building work (other than specialist building work or handling asbestos) in relation to a building that is a Class 10b structure (other than a swimming pool or swimming pool fence) and is ancillary to a building mentioned in paragraph (a)
  • basic building work

Class D

In general terms this licence authorises non-structural basic building work specified by the licence, other than specialist building work or handling asbestos.

Other frequently asked questions

What if I want to get an equivalent licence in another state or territory?

Mutual recognition is available for some licensees from other states or territories.

Do I need to have a written contract?

Although building contracts in the ACT are not regulated, HIA strongly recommends that you have written contracts as evidence of your agreement.

HIA has contracts available that are specific to kitchen, bathroom and laundry installation.

What rules apply to advertising?

When a licensed corporation, partnership or individual advertises their construction service, they need to include in the advertisement their name as recorded on their licence, their licence number and, for a corporation, its ABN or ACN number.

Do I need to register a business name if I want to trade under another name?

If you are an individual, you need to register a business if you trade under a name that isn’t your own.

If your business is a registered company, you need to register your business name if it is different from your registered company name. To register your business name, go to the business names tab on the ASIC website. [LINK TO: http://www.asic.gov.au/asic/asic.nsf]

What warranty insurance do I need?

If you are undertaking residential building work valued at $12,000 or more the law requires that you take out a  Home Warranty Insurance (HWI) policy or obtain a fidelity certificate from an approved fidelity fund scheme before starting the work.

You must insure ‘residential building work’ (that is, building work in relation to a residential building – a building intended mainly for private residential use, or a part of such a building) if:

  • the building has no more than three storeys at any point, excluding any storey used exclusively for parking, or
  • for a part of a building – the part provides structural support or forms an integral part of the building. 

Do I need to undertake Construction Induction Training? 

Yes, possession of a Construction Induction card (a White Card) is mandatory for work on a construction site in the ACT. 

What if I am going to be handling asbestos? 

You must be licensed to remove asbestos over 10m2. There are two classes of asbestos removalists: 

  • asbestos removalists Class A – licensees can handle (include disturbing) asbestos in buildings, and remove and dispose of asbestos from buildings, and 
  • asbestos removalists Class B – licensees can handle (include disturbing) only bonded asbestos in buildings, and remove and dispose of only bonded asbestos from buildings. 

Bonded asbestos is asbestos in a form where the asbestos fibres are held within another material (for example, cement) but does not include friable asbestos. 

Friable asbestos is asbestos, whether or not contained in other material that is crumbly, dusty or powdery, or when dry can be crumbled, pulverised or reduced to powder by hand pressure. Examples of friable asbestos are sprayed asbestos coating or insulation, asbestos lagging, loose asbestos and in its raw form. 

Building work that involves handling asbestos is exempt building work if: 

  • the asbestos is bonded asbestos, and not more than 10m2 of asbestos is handled during the building work and each person who handles the asbestos :
  • works in a prescribed occupation, and 
  • has a relevant asbestos qualification, and 
  • the asbestos is handled by each person who handles it in the course of the person’s occupation. 

To find out more, contact HIA's Workplace Services team

Email us

Share with your network:
More articles on:
{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find the latest expert advice, guides and much more!

Business support


Supporting building professionals with custom built services and products.

  • Contracts and compliance support
  • Contracts Online
  • Host an apprentice
  • Insurance Services
  • Managing safety
  • Savings for members and much more!

Explore Business support

Building it right topics


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.

Guide to Bathroom Planning and Design

A comprehensive industry guide that will inspire experienced designers and those new to bathroom design. Professionally presented over 300 pages with 240 spectacular images to inspire the perfect bathroom design. This guide is pac...

HIA Guide to Materials and Workmanship - Downloadable

An essential guide for building professionals which provides an unbiased, workable solution to non-regulated aspects of construction, where workmanship may lead to a variation in the finished product and where disputes may arise. ...

HIA Guide to Materials and Workmanship - Hard Copy

An fundamental guide for building professionals which provides an unbiased, workable solution to non-regulated aspects of construction, where workmanship may lead to a variation in the finished product and where disputes may arise...

Guide to Kitchen & Bathroom Construction Edition 2

A valuable resource that outlines codes, standards and tolerances in the construction and installation of kitchens and bathrooms. The guide also includes information on: - kitchen cabinetry - benchtops - splashback and flooring. ...