{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Housing industry insights Economics Insights Data & forecasts Tailored research and analysis Advocacy & policy Advocacy Policy priorities Position statements Submissions News and inspiration Industry news Member alerts Media releases HOUSING Online
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder & manufacturer program Industry insurance HIA Insurance Services Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies & tool insurance Member perks Toyota vehicles The Good Guys Commercial Fuel savings See all Planning & safety solutions Building & planning services Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS) Solutions for your business Contracts Online Advertise jobs Trusted support & guidance Contracts & compliance support Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials & products Concrete, bricks & walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects Getting approval to build Sustainable homes See all
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer How do I apply? Frequently asked questions Study with us Find a course to suit you Qualification courses Learning on demand Professional development courses A job in the industry Get your builder's licence Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Further your career Find jobs
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Mates rates Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Our initiatives HIA Building Women GreenSmart Kitchen, bathroom and design hub Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Support for you Charitable Foundation Mental health program
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Awards program People & Business Awards GreenSmart Australian Housing Awards Awards winners Regional Award winners Australian Housing Award winners 2024 Australian Home of the Year Enter online Industry events Events in the next month Economic outlook National Conference Events calendar
HIA shop
HIA shop $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Most popular products National Construction Code Vol 1 & 2 Waterproofing wet areas AS 3740:2021 HIA Guide to Waterproofing HIA Guide to NCC Livable Housing Provisions Top categories Building codes & standards Contracts & documents Guides & manuals Safety documents Signage For your business Contracts Online Digital Australian Standards Digital Resource Library Forecasts & data
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Domestic building insurance

If you have a contract to do domestic building work in Victoria worth $16,000 or more, you must take out domestic building insurance.

If you have a contract to do domestic building work in Victoria worth $16,000 or more, you must take out domestic building insurance.

What is domestic building work? 

Domestic building work includes, but is not limited to:

  • The construction, renovation, removal or demolition of a home.
  • Work associated with the construction or renovation of a home e.g. landscaping, paving, fencing, retaining walls, swimming pools, spas etc.
  • The construction of garages, decks, pergolas etc. on residential land.
  • Site works for the above projects.

When do I need to take out domestic building insurance?

Once you have signed a major domestic building contract you need to ensure a domestic building insurance policy is in place. If this is not in place and has not been provided to the homeowner, then the contract is conditional upon the homeowner receiving either one of these. 

Without a domestic building insurance policy, you cannot enforce the contract, commence work or receive money from the homeowner (including the deposit) until the insurance is in effect and the homeowner has been given a copy of the insurance certificate. 

Insurance Certificate

You must give the homeowner a copy of the domestic building insurance certificate within 7 days of receiving it. 

What does domestic building insurance cover?

Domestic building insurance provides protections to the homeowner from financial losses arising from incomplete or defective work carried out by a builder or tradesperson who has died, disappeared, or become insolvent. The protection extends to future owners of the property, subject to time limitations. 

It covers your client (and future owners) against loss or damage resulting from non-completion of the building work or from:

  • structural or non-structural defects in the building work;
  • a breach of any warranty implied under the Domestic Building Contracts Act;
  • a failure to maintain a standard or quality of building work specified in the building contract;
  • conduct by the builder or trade contractor in connection with the building contract that contravenes a provision under the Competition and Consumer Act or the Fair Trading Act.

How much can the owner claim for?

For policies issued before 1 July 2014 owner can claim up to $200,000, for policies issued after 1 July 2014 they can claim up to $300,000.

You should be aware that policies usually limit claims for non-completion to 20 per cent of the original contract price.

How to apply?

The BuildVic Domestic Building Insurance Portal provides builders with access to purchase an insurance policy directly.  Alternatively, HIA members may wish to contact HIA Insurance Services on 1800 762 878 to discuss further.

To find out more, contact HIA InfoCentre

Email us

Share with your network:
More articles on:
{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find the latest expert advice, guides and much more!

Managing your business


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.

Explore resources

2022 National Construction Code - Volume One

Product comes in an A4 binder and will be mailed to you once it's purchased online. Volume One of the National Construction Code (NCC) relates to commercial buildings – Class 2 to Class 9. The code details technical provisions for...

2022 National Construction Code - Volume Two

Product comes in an A4 binder and will be mailed to you once it's purchased online. Volume Two of the National Construction Code (NCC) relates to residential buildings – Class 1 and Class 10. The code details technical provisions ...

2022 National Construction Code - Volumes One and Two

Product comes in an A4 binder and will be mailed to you once it's purchased online. This pack contains Volume One (commercial buildings – Class 2 to Class 9) and Volume Two (residential buildings – Class 1 and Class 10) of the Nat...

HIA Guide to NCC Livable Housing Provisions

This resource provides practical examples of applying the new requirements and explains common solutions and methods that may assist building practitioners to meet the new requirements for house and apartment designs.

HIA Guide to Waterproofing

Guidance provided by HIA on the changes to waterproofing of wet areas requirements and what they mean for common solutions and compliance.