{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Economic research and forecasting Economics Housing outlook Tailored market research Economic reports and data Inspiring Australia's building professionals HOUSING The only place to get your industry news Newsroom
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host an HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder and manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies and tool insurance Paperwork gone digital Contracts Online HIA Tradepass HR Docs SafeScan - managing workplace safety Planning and safety services Building and planning services How can HIA Safety help you? Independent site inspections Trusted legal support Legal advice and guidance Professional services Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials and products Concrete, bricks and walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Falls from heights Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects COVID-19 Getting approval to build Sustainable homes
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Hear what our apprentices say Advice for parents and guardians Study with us Find a course Get your builder's licence Qualifications Learn with HIA
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Mates Rates What we do Mental health program Charitable Foundation GreenSmart
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Australian Housing Awards Awards program National Conference Industry networking Events
HIA products
HIA products $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Shop @ HIA Products Digital Australian Standards Contracts Online Shipping and delivery Purchasing terms & conditions
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Which contract should I use in Tasmania?

Selecting the right contract can be tricky. Making sure you pick the best contract for your project will set you up for success throughout the building work.

HIA has a range of contract options to suit both domestic and commercial building work.

Use the chart below to help you make the right choice.


Choosing the right contract

What else do I need?

HIA has a range of supporting documents available to help you administer the contract during the building work.

Preliminary agreement 

This agreement is for use when you have to do work before you sign the contract for example, getting foundations data (i.e. work including footings and foundations which the law requires you to obtain before a domestic building contract is signed). The preliminary agreement is the best way for a building contractor to ensure payment for pre-contractual work and preparation.

Variation document 

This document satisfies the requirements of domestic building laws that variations must be in writing and must include specific details. If you do not satisfy the legal requirements but complete the work anyway, you may not be entitled to be paid for the variation. 

Notice of Suspension 

This notice is for use when suspending building works under the contract. The notice provides the owner with details of why works are being suspended and details any moneys payable as a consequence of the suspension.

Notification of extension of time 

This form is to notify the owner of an entitlement to an extension of time when the carrying out of the building works is delayed. If you do not notify an owner about your entitlement to an extension of time when the right arises (e.g. at the time of the delay), you may not be able to claim this time down the track and may have to pay agreed damages for late completion of the building works. This form has been designed for use in conjunction with most HIA contracts.

Notice of Completion 

This notice is used to formally notify an owner when the contracted domestic building works are complete. It also is used to initiate the owner’s inspection of the works as part of the hand over and payment procedure.

Where can I get these documents? 

HIA’s Contracts Online is your go-to platform for creating professional and secure building industry contracts.


To find out more, contact HIA's Workplace Services team

Email us

Share with your network:

More articles on:

{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find guides, how-tos, resources and more

Business support


Supporting building professionals with custom built services and products.

  • Legal support
  • Contracts Online
  • Host an HIA apprentice
  • Insurance services
  • Managing safety

Explore Business support