{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Housing industry insights Economics Insights Data & forecasts Tailored research and analysis Advocacy & policy Advocacy Policy priorities Position statements Submissions News and inspiration Industry news Member alerts Media releases HOUSING Online
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder & manufacturer program Industry insurance HIA Insurance Services Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies & tool insurance Member perks Toyota vehicles The Good Guys Commercial Fuel savings See all Planning & safety solutions Building & planning services Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS) Solutions for your business Contracts Online Advertise jobs Trusted support & guidance Contracts & compliance support Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials & products Concrete, bricks & walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects Getting approval to build Sustainable homes See all
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer How do I apply? Frequently asked questions Study with us Find a course to suit you Qualification courses Learning on demand Professional development courses A job in the industry Get your builder's licence Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Further your career Find jobs
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Mates rates Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Our initiatives HIA Building Women GreenSmart Kitchen, bathroom and design hub Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Support for you Charitable Foundation Mental health program
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Awards program People & Business Awards GreenSmart Australian Housing Awards Awards winners Regional Award winners Australian Housing Award winners 2024 Australian Home of the Year Enter online Industry events Events in the next month Economic outlook National Conference Events calendar
HIA shop
HIA shop $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Most popular products National Construction Code Vol 1 & 2 Waterproofing wet areas AS 3740:2021 HIA Guide to Waterproofing HIA Guide to NCC Livable Housing Provisions Top categories Building codes & standards Contracts & documents Guides & manuals Safety documents Signage For your business Contracts Online Digital Australian Standards Digital Resource Library Forecasts & data
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Fencing disputes

If your building contract includes the construction, replacement or repair of a dividing fence, the homeowner will have a number of legal obligations that must be met before you start.

In South Australia, the Fences Act 1975 (the Act) covers the construction of dividing fences, the repair of existing fences and financial contributions between adjoining owners.

Construction of a fence

There is an obligation on the owners of adjoining residential land that is not divided by an adequate fence to provide an adequate fence.  This can be achieved by:

  • the parties coming to an agreement or 
  • determination by the Magistrates Court.

Only the owners of the properties, or occupiers who have the consent of the owner, have rights and obligations under the Act.  

Notice to fence

If the builder intends to install a new fence on a property, the Act requires the owner (proponent) to serve the adjoining owner with a Form No.1 Notice of Intention to Erect a Fence. If it is a replacement fence, then the proponent must serve the adjoining owner with a Form No. 2 Notice of Intention to Perform Replacement, Repair or Maintenance Work.

The mandatory elements of a notice is that it:

  • is in writing
  • specifies the boundary to be fenced
  • contains a proposal for fencing the boundary
  • specifies the kind of fence proposed
  • includes an estimate of the cost and
  • lists the name of the proposed contractor. 


Within 30 days of receiving a notice to fence, the adjoining owner may serve a Form No. 3 Cross-Notice containing an objection to the proposal or a counter-proposal.

Within a further 30 days, the proponent may object by written notice to the counter-proposal. 


If either of the parties fails to serve a counter-proposal notice or objection to a counter-proposal within 30 days of being served, then they are taken to have agreed to the proposal or counter-proposal.

Alternatively, a party may agree to a proposal or counter-proposal by written acceptance.

Time to fence

Either party may proceed with the works upon the expiration of the 30-day period from notice to fence or the notice of counter-proposal where no objection has been received within that time.  There can be no request for contribution unless the appropriate notices have been given.

Access to adjoining land

A person, including a building or contactor, may enter adjoining land for the purpose of carrying out fencing work in accordance with the Act.

They must give the owner of the land at least two days’ notice before entering the property, except in the event of an emergency.  The notice must be in writing and delivered in person or by registered post.

Failure to fence

A party may perform the work as set out in the notice if the other party:

  • fails to commence the work within 28 days of having become entitled to do so or
  • discontinues the work for a period of more than 28 days.

If neither party progresses the work within the agreed time period, or if there is no agreed time period then a period of 4 months, the agreement to fence shall lapse.

Repairing a fence

The cost of repairing the fence is as agreed between the parties or where no agreement can be reached, as ordered by the Magistrates Court.

However, if the damage was caused by an adjoining owner, they are solely liable for the cost to repair the fence.  The notice to repair should detail the reason for the damage.

Notice to repair

The Act requires the proponent to serve the adjoining owner with a Form No. 2 Notice of Intention to Perform Replacement, Repair or Maintenance Work.

Time to repair or contribute

If the adjoining owner was responsible for the damage, the owner must state the cost of the proposed repair works and the amount they are seeking to recover from the adjoining owner towards the costs of the proposed works. The adjoining owner may reject this with a Form No. 3 Cross-Notice within 30 days. 


Magistrates Court

If the parties cannot agree on a fencing matter, a party may make an application to the Magistrates Court to determine:

  • the kind of fence
  • the position of the fence
  • the time to fence and
  • any financial contribution by the parties
  • costs may be awarded to the successful party.

Further information about this process is available on the Courts SA website


South Australia’s Courts Department also provides a mediation service, which assists the parties to:

  • identify the primary issues in dispute
  • consider their options
  • negotiate solutions and
  • and reach their own agreement.

Typically the costs of mediation are shared between the parties.

The Magistrates Court has further information on mediation.

Further information

The SA Government has further information available on fences and the law, including Forms 1, 2 and 3.


To find out more, contact HIA's Contracts and Compliance team

Email us

Share with your network:
More articles on:
{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find the latest expert advice, guides and much more!

Managing your business


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.

Explore resources

SA Alterations & Additions Contract (Pack of 2)

This contract (pack of two) is suitable for residential building work relating to an alteration, addition, renovation or where the work is not to comp...

SA Preliminary Agreement (Pad of 25)

This Agreement (pad of 50) is used to cover the cost of the preliminary work before and in preparation of signing the contract. This type of work may ...

SA Building Specification

The Building Specification document is used with the building schedule to comply with building specifications. This is a hard copy version of the docu...

SA Building Schedule

The SA Building Schedule is used as an addendum to a building contract and details the extent and nature of materials and items included under the con...

SA Cost Plus Contract (Pack of 2)

This contract is used for residential constructions works on a cost plus basis, not a lump sum ‘fixed price’. Costs are totalled and a percentage or f...

SA Certificate of Practical Completion (Pad of 25)

This Certificate (pad of 25) enables builders to list work that may be required following a joint pre-handover inspection by the owner and builder. Th...

SA Job Quotation Form (Pad of 25)

The Quotation Form (pad of 25) is suitable for sub-contractors to list their conditions. It's carbonised and individually numbered and dated.

SA Minor Works Agreement (Pad of 25)

The SA Minor Works Agreement Pad is suitable for minor residential building works up to a value of $12,000. It’s available in a handy tear-off pad of ...