{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Housing industry insights Economics Data & forecasts Tailored research and analysis Advocacy & policy Advocacy Policy priorities Position statements Submissions News and inspiration Industry news Member alerts Media releases HOUSING Online
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder & manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies & tool insurance Member perks Toyota vehicles The Good Guys Commercial Fuel savings See all Planning & safety solutions Building & planning services Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS) Solutions for your business Contracts Online Advertise jobs Trusted support & guidance Contracts & compliance support Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials & products Concrete, bricks & walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects Getting approval to build Sustainable homes See all
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Frequently asked questions Study with us Find a course to suit you Qualification courses Learning on demand A job in the industry Get your builder's licence Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Find jobs
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Mates rates Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Our initiatives HIA Building Women GreenSmart Kitchen, bathroom and design hub Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Support for you Charitable Foundation Mental health program
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Awards program People & Business Awards GreenSmart Australian Housing Awards Awards winners Regional Award winners Australian Housing Award winners 2024 Australian Home of the Year Enter online Industry events Events in the next month Economic outlook National Conference Events calendar
HIA shop
HIA shop $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Most popular products National Construction Code Vol 1 & 2 Waterproofing wet areas AS 3740:2021 HIA Guide to Waterproofing HIA Guide to NCC Livable Housing Provisions Top categories Building codes & standards Contracts & documents Guides & manuals Safety products Signage For your business Contracts Online Digital Australian Standards Digital Resource Library Forecasts & data
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Security of Payment - Coverage

The Building and Construction Industry (Security of Payment) Act 2021 (WA) (SOP Act) applies to some construction contracts but excludes others. Before you make a claim under the SOP Act, it is important to confirm that your contract is covered.

What types of contracts does the SOP Act cover?

There are several factors to consider when establishing whether your contract will be covered by the SOP Act.

1. The contract must be a ‘construction contract’.

‘Construction contract’ means a contract, agreement or other arrangement under which one party undertakes to carry out construction work, or to supply related goods and services, for another party.

2. The contract must be for ‘construction work’ or ‘related goods and services’.

Construction work includes, but is not limited to:

  • the construction, alteration and addition of buildings, structures and civil works
  • demolition, site clearing, earthworks and laying foundations
  • cleaning, painting, decorating and other surface treatments
  • the installation of services in buildings including electrical, plumbing of gas and water, HVAC, fire protection, irrigation, security, communications and vertical transport systems
  • work with cranes, scaffolding and other temporary buildings or structures
  • site restoration and landscaping.

Related goods and services include, but are not limited to:

  • goods including:
    • materials or components to form any part of a building, structure or civil work
    • the sale or hire of plant or materials for use in connection with the carrying out of construction work
  • services including:
    • building labour
    • professional services such as surveying, testing, design, drafting and engineering.

3. The contract must not be for ‘home building work’. 

The SOP Act will not apply if the contract is for ‘home building work’ and is:

  • for the construction of a single dwelling
  • with an individual home owner
  • not carried out for the purpose of a business
  • less than $500,000.

The definitions related to home building work under the SOP Act are aligned with those in the Home Building Contracts Act.

Common examples

Some examples of contracts that are covered by the SOP Act include those between:

  • builders and contractors, such as trades and suppliers
  • individual homeowners and builders where the work is worth more than $500,000
  • builders and property developers or commercial clients
  • builders and individual homeowners for the construction of two or more dwellings.

The table included at Appendix A may be of further assistance in determining whether your contract is covered by the SOP Act.

What does it mean if my contract is covered by the SOP Act?

If the SOP Act applies to your contract with a client, it will entitle you to:

  • make a payment claim under the SOP Act
  • receive a payment schedule detailing any disputed amounts
  • lodge an application for adjudication against them in the event of non-payment.

If your contract is with a contractor, including a tradesperson, supplier or consultant, it means you:

  • may receive a payment claim from the contractor
  • should provide a payment schedule to the contractor for any disputed amounts
  • may receive an adjudication application from a contractor in the event you don’t pay them or if they disagree with the payment schedule.

Appendix A

I am a: I am contracting with The contract is for:
  Home building work worth up to $500,000 Home building work worth over $500,000 Commercial building work
Single dwelling Multiple dwellings
Builder Property owner:        
- Individual No Yes Yes* N/A

- Company

- Strata body

- Property developer

Yes Yes Yes
Tradesperson or supplier No No No
Tradesperson or supplier Property owner:        
- Individual No Yes Yes* Yes

- Company

- Strata body

- Property developer

Yes Yes Yes
Builder Yes Yes Yes
Another tradesperson or supplier Yes Yes Yes
Individual homeowner Builder, tradesperson or supplier No No No
Company, strata body or property developer Builder, tradesperson or supplier No No No

*The claimant must provide the respondent with a copy of the prescribed ‘homeowner’s notice’ at the time of making the payment claim.

To find out more, contact HIA's Contracts and Compliance team

Email us

Share with your network:
More articles on:
{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find the latest expert advice, guides and much more!

Managing your business


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.

Explore resources

WA Addenda to Specification - Form 12

This addenda is sold separately from the WA Specification for Brick or Framed Construction document. These two items make up a set, although some builders have the HIA specification only and add their own addenda. The standard spe...

WA Cost Plus Contract - Form 13D (Pack of 2)

This contract is used for residential constructions works on a cost plus basis, not a lump sum ‘fixed price’. Costs are totalled and a percentage or fixed sum added for administration, supervision and profit. It allows for project...

WA Claim for Extension of Time - Form 5 (Pad of 30)

Builders wanting an extension of time for completing work will need this WA Claim for Extension of Time pad, which includes 30 sheets. This product complies with Western Australian legislation as the builder must advise the client...

WA HBCA Lump Sum Contract - Form 16K (Pack of 2)

The WA HBCA Lump Sum Contract – Form 16J contract (pack of two) is suitable for work over $7500 and less than $500,000, which requires a written, signed contract to comply with provisions of the Home Building Contracts Act 1991. A...

WA Practical Completion Certificate - Form 14 (Pad of 30)

The Western Australian Certificate of Practical Completion (pad of 30) enables builders to list work that may be required following a joint pre-handover inspection by the owner and builder. This is a hard copy version of the docum...

WA Job Quotation - Form 9 (Pad of 25)

The Western Australian Job Quotation Form (pad of 25) is suitable for sub-contractors to list their conditions. It's carbonised and individually numbered and dated. It's suitable as a contract for works under $7500.

WA Alterations & Additions Contract - Form 38E (Pack of 2)

The WA Alterations & Additions Contract – Form 38E (pack of two) is designed specifically for use on alterations, additions and renovations over $7500 and less than $500,000 and complies with the Home Building Contracts Act (HBCA)...

WA Pre-Fabricated Homes Contract - Form 45C (Pack of 2)

The WA Pre-fabricated Homes Contract – Form 45C (pack of two) has been designed specifically for use with modular or transportable homes.

WA Specification Brick & Framed Construction - Form 7 (Pack of 2)

The WA Specification for Brick or Framed Construction document (pack of two) provides a detailed description of quality of materials or workmanship, working drawings, details and other contract documents, to achieve an accurate co...

WA Variation to Contract - Form 1 (Pad of 30)

The WA Variation to Contract – Form 1 details changes or variations to works requiring an update to the contract between builder and owner. It can also be used for variations between builder and sub-contractor. This is a hard cop...

WA Small Works Contract - Form 10A (Pad of 25)

The WA Small Works contract (pad of 25 and in duplicate) has been designed specifically for projects $7500 in value or less (where the Home Building Contracts Act 1991 does not apply). This contract is simple to use, carbonated an...