{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Economic research & forecasting Economics Housing outlook Tailored market research Economic reports & data Inspiring Australia's building professionals Business & digital Products & innovation Projects HOUSING Online The only place to get your industry news Media releases Member alerts Submissions See all
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder & manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies & tool insurance Planning & safety solutions Building & planning services How can safety solutions help you? Independent site inspections Solutions for your business Contracts Online HIA Tradepass HIA SafeScan Advertise jobs Trusted support & guidance Contracts & compliance support Professional services Industrial relations Member savings Toyota vehicles Fuel savings Handy pay See all
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials & products Concrete, bricks & walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Falls from heights Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects COVID-19 Getting approval to build Sustainable homes See all
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Frequently asked questions Study with us Find a course to suit you Qualification courses Learning on demand A job in the industry Get your builder's licence Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Find jobs
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Mates rates Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Our initiatives HIA Building Women GreenSmart Kitchen, bathroom and design hub Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Support for you Charitable Foundation Mental health program
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Awards program People & Business Awards GreenSmart Australian Housing Awards Awards winners Regional Award winners Australian Housing Award winners 2023 Australian Home of the Year Enter online Industry events Events in the next month Economic outlook National Conference Events calendar
HIA products
HIA products $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Shop @ HIA Digital Australian Standards Contracts Online Shipping & delivery Purchasing T&Cs See all Products Purchase NCC 2022 Building codes & standards Economic reports Hard copy contracts Guides & manuals
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Security of payment - adjudication

If you have an overdue progress claim for construction work carried out in South Australia, the adjudication scheme may be available to assist you in getting paid.

In South Australia, the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 2009 (the Act) covers those carrying out construction work under a construction contract.

This information sheet sets out the process for adjudication of unpaid payment claims made under the Act.

What is adjudication?

Adjudication is an alternative process to going to court.  It is intended to be quick and cost-effective, in order to keep the money flowing through the contracting chain.

Prior to application

The claimant must notify the respondent of their intention to apply for adjudication within 20 business days of the payment being due.

If the respondent hasn’t provided a payment schedule, they must be given an additional 5 business days after receiving notice of the claimant's intention to apply for adjudication.

Making an application

The application must:

  • be in writing;
  • be made to an authorised nominating authority;
  • be accompanied by the application fee;
  • identify the payment claim and schedule to which it relates; and
  • Include all relevant documents on which the claimant relies, such as a copy of the construction contract, any reports, photos, etc.

Timing of the application depends on the events prior to the application.  If:

  • a payment schedule was issued and the amount was reduced, then within 15 business days of the date of the schedule;
  • a payment schedule was issued and payment is overdue, then within 20 business days of the due date for payment;
  • a payment schedule was not issued and payment is overdue, then within 15 business days of the end of the additional 5 business day period.

Once received, the authorised nominating authority will refer the application to an adjudicator.  If the adjudicator accepts the nomination, they will notify the claimant and the respondent in writing.

Responding to an application

A response to an application may be served on the claimant and the adjudicator by the later of either:

  • 5 business days after receiving a copy of the application; or
  • 2 business days after receiving notice of an adjudicator's acceptance of the application.

The response must:

  • be in writing;
  • identify the payment claim and schedule to which it relates; and
  • Include all relevant documents on which the claimant relies, such as a copy of the construction contract, any reports, photos, etc.

Adjudicator’s determination

The adjudicator has 10 business days from the date the response was received, or due to be received, in which to make a determination.  The determination will be provided to both parties and will detail:

  • any amounts to be paid;
  • the due date for payment;
  • the rate of interest on unpaid amounts; and
  • the reasoning for the determination.


If the respondent fails to pay the determined amount by the due date, the claimant has the option to suspend the work by written notice, in accordance with the Act.

The claimant may also request an adjudication certificate from the authorised nominating authority.  The certificate can be filed as a judgment for a debt in court and will then become enforceable.

The adjudicator’s fees are typically shared between the parties, however the adjudicator has the power to determine the proportion of the fees to be paid by each party.  If one party fails to pay their share of the fees, the adjudicator may make a determination for costs.


If a party disagrees with a determination, they have the option to take the matter to court, but not as a part of the initial filing for a judgment debt.

To find out more, contact HIA's Workplace Services team

Email us

Share with your network:
More articles on:
{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find the latest expert advice, guides and much more!

Managing your business


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.

Explore resources