{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Economic research and forecasting Economics Housing outlook Tailored market research Economic reports and data Inspiring Australia's building professionals HOUSING The only place to get your industry news Media releases Member alerts Submissions See all
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder and manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies and tool insurance Planning and safety services Building and planning services How can HIA Safety help you? Independent site inspections Solutions for your business Contracts Online HIA Tradepass HIA SafeScan HR Docs Trusted legal support Legal advice and guidance Professional services Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials and products Concrete, bricks and walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Falls from heights Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects COVID-19 Getting approval to build Sustainable homes
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Hear what our apprentices say Advice for parents and guardians Study with us Find a course Get your builder's licence Learn with HIA
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Mates rates What we do Mental health program Charitable Foundation GreenSmart
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Australian Housing Awards Awards program National Conference Industry networking Events Building and Renovation Home Show HOMEFEST
HIA products
HIA products $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Shop @ HIA Digital Australian Standards Contracts Online Shipping and delivery Purchasing terms & conditions Products Building codes and standards Hard copy contracts Guides and manuals Safety and signage See all
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

What can I do when a client doesn’t pay in WA?

Unpaid progress payment claims can disrupt cash flow. HIA explains your options to get paid ASAP.

Non-payment during construction is a very common issue in the building industry, BUT there are ways you can ensure you get paid on time!


Avoid it!

The best way to deal with a payment dispute is to avoid it in the first place.

Steps 1 – 4 below detail practical measures that you can take to set up good payment practices.

Step 5 and the listed alternative options can assist when a payment claim is overdue.

Step 1 - Ensure you have a contract

A contract is a written record of the agreement between the parties. It sets out important information with regard to your right to payment including:

  • the contract sum;
  • finance and evidence of capacity to pay;
  • progress payment schedule;
  • timing for payments;
  • interest and other rights in relation to non-payment; and
  • process for disputes.

The law requires a written contract between a builder and an owner where the building work is valued between $7,500 and $500,000. If you don’t meet the legal requirements you may have trouble getting paid and may be subject to additional fines.

Regardless, it is strongly recommended that you ensure you have a comprehensive written contract in place.

Step 2 - Confirm the client’s capacity to pay

If you have concerns about a client’s capacity to pay progress claims when they are due, you may:

  • request the client provide you with written evidence that it has the ability to pay the contract price; and
  • if there is no bank finance involved, request the client place money into a trust fund or other form of joint bank account.

Step 3 - Proper contract administration

In order to avoid payment disputes it is important to ensure you are carrying out the proper contract administration. This includes:

ensuring variations to the contract have been properly documented and approved by the client where required; and

any extensions of time notices have been given in accordance with the required timeframes.

Step 4 - Progress payments

If you have completed a progress stage you are entitled to make a claim for the work carried out under that stage. When you have made a genuine claim for a progress payment, the client must pay the progress payment within the timeframe set out in the contract.

For home building work valued between $7,500 and $500,000 a request for payment for work that has not yet been performed (except for a deposit) is prohibited. For all other building work, while permitted, it could be difficult to justify an entitlement to payment for work that has not yet been completed, except where the contract specifically provides for that type of arrangement.

Step 5 - Responding to non-payment

If the client fails pay a progress claim by the due date, there are a number of steps you can take under the contract. If you are using the HBCA Lump Sum Building Contract, the options include:

  • Suspend the works under the Contract until such time as payment is received in full.
  • Charge interest on late payments at the rate set out in Item 8 of the Schedule of Particulars. In some instances the threat of interest is a sufficient incentive to make payment.
  • Lodge a caveat over the property to secure payments under the contract. A caveat will prevent the owner from selling the property without discharging their debt to you. This can be done through Landgate.
  • As a final option, you can terminate the contract.

First you must issue the owner with a written notice to remedy the breach i.e. a notice that the owner must make payment. If payment is not made within 10 working days after providing the notice you may terminate the contract immediately by issuing a separate notice of termination.

Termination of a contract is a serious step. If it is done without a genuine cause it will give the owner the right to terminate the contract and to seek damages from you.

Dispute resolution process

The contract sets out a process under which disputes can be resolved. This may be in relation to non-payment or any other dispute.

Under the HBCA Lump Sum Contract the dispute resolution process is:

lodge a written notice of dispute; then

  • within 5 working days, meet with the owner to attempt to resolve the matter; then
  • if the matter is not resolved, the parties must:
    • agree to mediation; or
    • agree to appoint an arbitrator; or
    • if the parties can’t agree, an application shall be made to HIA to nominate an arbitrator.

Are there any other options?

Yes. These options are separate from your options under the contract. The advantages and disadvantages of each option should be considered in relation to your particular circumstances.

Building and Energy complaint

When a dispute arises under a home building contract worth between $7,500 and $500,000 both the builder and the owner can apply to Building and Energy for determination.
If you are not satisfied with a decision by Building and Energy, you can apply for a review by the State Administrative Tribunal (SAT). SAT may also determine matters that are referred to it by Building and Energy.

Rapid adjudication

Rapid adjudication is a mechanism of the Construction Contracts Act. It allows a party to a construction contract to make an application for a payment dispute to be determined by an adjudicator. A ‘payment dispute’ includes a rejected, disputed or overdue payment claim.

HIA has further information available regarding rapid adjudication, on request.

Letter of demand

A letter of demand should set out the amount of money that is outstanding and provide the client with a timeframe in which to make payment. It also sets out the consequences of non-payment. It is used as a last resort prior to taking more decisive action such as going to court or arbitration.

Magistrate’s court

In WA the Magistrates Court deals with civil matters up to a value of $75,000. The types of matters that are dealt with in Magistrate’s Court include debt or damages claims and consumer/trader claims. Some matters, such as building services complaints, are not dealt with by the Magistrate’s Court and come under the jurisdiction of Building and Energy or SAT.

For disputes up to a value of $10,000 parties are not represented by lawyers. The fees for Magistrates Court are also reasonably low.

Despite this, preparing for court is a very time consuming and costly exercise. Taking a matter to court may also come with a significant psychological burden. Before proceeding to court, it is worthwhile considering whether there is any opportunity to resolve the dispute in another way.

In addition, where the parties have agreed to alternative dispute resolution (ADR) under a contract, the Court may require the parties to honour their contractual agreement and proceed through ADR instead.

Before exercising any contractual or legal rights, it is important that you read the contract carefully and if you are unsure contact HIA or seek independent advice.

HIA’s building contracts, trade agreements and variation forms are available via Contracts Online.

To find out more, contact HIA's Workplace Services team

Email us

Share with your network:

More articles on:

{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find guides, how-tos, resources and more

Managing your business


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.

Explore resources

Join Australia’s largest national association for the residential building industry.

Gain access to a huge range of industry products and business services. All designed to help you manage, operate and grow your business.


Why join HIA Join HIA

Got a question? We’re here to help

Put your mind at rest and speak to one of our industry experts, we’re confident that our extensive industry knowledge will cover whatever questions or issues you may have.

WA Addenda to Specification - Form 12

This addenda is sold separately from the WA Specification for Brick or Framed Construction document. These two items make up a set, although some buil...

WA Cost Plus Contract - Form 13D (Pack of 2)

This contract is used for residential constructions works on a cost plus basis, not a lump sum ‘fixed price’. Costs are totalled and a percentage or f...

WA Claim for Extension of Time - Form 5 (Pad of 30)

Builders wanting an extension of time for completing work will need this WA Claim for Extension of Time pad, which includes 30 sheets. This product co...

WA HBCA Lump Sum Contract - Form 16K (Pack of 2)

The WA HBCA Lump Sum Contract – Form 16J contract (pack of two) is suitable for work over $7500 and less than $500,000, which requires a written, sign...

WA Practical Completion Certificate - Form 14 (Pad of 30)

The Western Australian Certificate of Practical Completion (pad of 30) enables builders to list work that may be required following a joint pre-handov...

WA Job Quotation - Form 9 (Pad of 25)

The Western Australian Job Quotation Form (pad of 25) is suitable for sub-contractors to list their conditions. It's carbonised and individually numbe...

WA Alterations & Additions Contract - Form 38E (Pack of 2)

The WA Alterations & Additions Contract – Form 38E (pack of two) is designed specifically for use on alterations, additions and renovations over $7500...

WA Pre-Fabricated Homes Contract - Form 45C (Pack of 2)

The WA Pre-fabricated Homes Contract – Form 45C (pack of two) has been designed specifically for use with modular or transportable homes.

WA Specification Brick & Framed Construction - Form 7 (Pack of 2)

The WA Specification for Brick or Framed Construction document (pack of two) provides a detailed description of quality of materials or workmanship, w...

WA Variation to Contract - Form 1

The WA Variation to Contract – Form 1 details changes or variations to works requiring an update to the contract between builder and owner. It can als...

WA Small Works Contract - Form 10A (Pad of 25)

The WA Small Works contract (pad of 25 and in duplicate) has been designed specifically for projects $7500 in value or less (where the Home Building C...