{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Economic research and forecasting Economics Housing outlook Tailored market research Economic reports and data Inspiring Australia's building professionals HOUSING The only place to get your industry news Media releases Member alerts Submissions See all
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder and manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies and tool insurance Planning and safety services Building and planning services How can HIA Safety help you? Independent site inspections Solutions for your business Contracts Online HIA Tradepass HIA SafeScan HR Docs Trusted legal support Legal advice and guidance Professional services Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials and products Concrete, bricks and walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Falls from heights Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects COVID-19 Getting approval to build Sustainable homes
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Hear what our apprentices say Advice for parents and guardians Study with us Find a course Get your builder's licence Learn with HIA
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Mates rates What we do Mental health program Charitable Foundation GreenSmart
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Australian Housing Awards Awards program National Conference Industry networking Events Building and Renovation Home Show HOMEFEST
HIA products
HIA products $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Shop @ HIA Digital Australian Standards Contracts Online Shipping and delivery Purchasing terms & conditions Products Building codes and standards Hard copy contracts Guides and manuals Safety and signage See all
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

ATO rules for business records

The ATO requires all businesses to keep records with respect to their business income and business expenses.


The following types of records should be kept with respect to business income:

  • Sales invoices (including tax invoices)
  • Sales vouchers or receipts
  • Cash register tapes
  • Credit card statements
  • Bank deposit books
  • Bank statements.

For businesses that operate in the residential building industry, this equates to:

  • progress claims (which need to be in the form of a tax invoice and be backed up by copies of building contracts and written variations)
  • receipts issued to clients for all deposits and progress payments paid by them or their bank
  • any bank documents that show the receipt of those payments, and
  • if applicable, any documents that are generated by the client’s financier or relate to a security account held jointly with the client.


The following types of records should be kept in relation to their business expenses: 

  • Purchase orders
  • Tax Invoices issued by suppliers
  • Purchase/expense receipts, which include an ABN
  • Cheque butts
  • Credit card statements
  • Bank statements
  • Effective 1 July 2012, businesses in the building and construction industry will need to keep records of (and report to the ATO) payments made to contractors who carry out building and construction work.

For businesses that operate in the residential building industry, this equates to:

For job-related expenses:

  • Purchase orders for materials and written requests to sub-contractors for quotes
  • Delivery dockets
  • Project or period trade contracts and work orders
  • Applications submitted to government departments
  • Tax invoices issued by suppliers and subcontractors
  • Documents that are issued by government departments for any levies, fees and charges:
    • Receipts issued by suppliers, subcontractors or government departments in relation to goods and/or services supplied by them
    • Bank documents such as credit card statements, cheque stubs and internet banking documents that show proof of payment

And for general operating expenses:

  • Purchase orders for supplies (either goods or services such as advertising in the local newspaper or telephone directory)
  • Delivery dockets
  • Tax invoices (showing an ABN) and monthly statements issued by suppliers
  • Bank documents such as credit card statements, cheque stubs, internet banking documents and direct debit authorisations that show proof of payment
  • documents such as receipts and monthly statements issued by the supplier after having received payment.

To find out more, contact HIA's Workplace Services team

Email us

Share with your network:

More articles on:

{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find guides, how-tos, resources and more

Business support


Supporting building professionals with custom built services and products.

  • Legal support
  • Contracts Online
  • Host an apprentice
  • Insurance services
  • Managing safety

Explore Business support

Building it right topics


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.

2019 National Construction Code - Volume 1

Volume 1 of the National Construction Code (NCC) relates to commercial buildings – Class 2 to Class 9. The code details technical provisions for the d...

2019 National Construction Code - Volumes 1 & 2 (BCA)

This pack contains Volume 1 (commercial buildings – Class 2 to Class 9) and Volume 2 (residential buildings – Class 1 and Class 10) of the National Co...

2019 National Construction Code - Volume 2

Volume 2 of the National Construction Code (NCC) relates to residential buildings – Class 1 and Class 10. The code details technical provisions for th...