{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Housing industry insights Economics Data & forecasts Tailored research and analysis Advocacy & policy Advocacy Policy priorities Position statements Submissions News and inspiration Industry news Member alerts Media releases HOUSING Online
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder & manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies & tool insurance Member perks Toyota vehicles The Good Guys Commercial Fuel savings See all Planning & safety solutions Building & planning services Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS) Solutions for your business Contracts Online Advertise jobs Trusted support & guidance Contracts & compliance support Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials & products Concrete, bricks & walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects Getting approval to build Sustainable homes See all
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Frequently asked questions Study with us Find a course to suit you Qualification courses Learning on demand A job in the industry Get your builder's licence Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Find jobs
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Mates rates Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Our initiatives HIA Building Women GreenSmart Kitchen, bathroom and design hub Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Support for you Charitable Foundation Mental health program
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Awards program People & Business Awards GreenSmart Australian Housing Awards Awards winners Regional Award winners Australian Housing Award winners 2024 Australian Home of the Year Enter online Industry events Events in the next month Economic outlook National Conference Events calendar
HIA shop
HIA shop $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Most popular products National Construction Code Vol 1 & 2 Waterproofing wet areas AS 3740:2021 HIA Guide to Waterproofing HIA Guide to NCC Livable Housing Provisions Top categories Building codes & standards Contracts & documents Guides & manuals Safety products Signage For your business Contracts Online Digital Australian Standards Digital Resource Library Forecasts & data
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Incident notification

In Queensland, you need to notify Workplace Health and Safety if a notifiable incident occurs in the workplace. PCBU’s also have site and record keeping obligations after a notifiable incident occurs.

In this article

The work health and safety laws in Queensland require a person in control of a business or undertaking (PCBU) to notify Workplace Health and Safety Queensland of certain injuries.

What is a notifiable incident?

Workplace Health and Safety Queensland will need to be notified of:

  • the death of a person, or
  • a serious injury or illness of a person, or
  • a dangerous incident.

What is a serious injury or illness?

An injury or illness requiring the person to have:

  • immediate treatment as an in-patient in a hospital or
  • immediate treatment for:
    • amputation, or
    • a serious head injury, or
    • a serious eye injury, or
    • a serious burn, or
    • the separation of skin from an underlying tissue (such as degloving or scalping), or
    • a spinal injury, or
    • the loss of a bodily function, or
    • serious lacerations, or
  • medical treatment within 48 hours of exposure to a substance.

What is a dangerous incident?

An incident that exposes a worker or any other person to a serious risk to a person’s health or safety because of immediate or imminent exposure to:

  • an uncontrolled escape, spillage or leakage of a substance, or
  • an uncontrolled implosion, explosion or fire, or
  • an uncontrolled escape of gas or steam, or
  • an uncontrolled escape of a pressurised substance, or
  • electric shock, or
  • the fall or release from a height of any plant, substance or thing, or the collapse, overturning, failure or malfunction of, or damage to, any plant that is required to be authorised for use in accordance with the regulations, or
  • the collapse or partial collapse of a structure, or
  • the collapse or failure of an excavation or of any shoring supporting an excavation, or
  • the inrush of water, mud, or gas in workings, in an underground excavation or tunnel, or
  • the interruption of the main system of ventilation in an underground excavation or tunnel.

When do you need to notify Workplace Health and Safety Queensland?

Immediately after becoming aware that a notifiable incident has occurred and by the fastest means possible.

The phone number for Workplace Health and Safety Queensland is 1300 369 915. If notice is given by phone Workplace Health and Safety Queensland may request written notice.

Record keeping

You need to keep records of notifiable incidents for at least five years from the day the notice was given to Workplace Health and Safety Queensland.

If an injury occurs and a workers compensation claim will be made, workers compensation laws require that a register of injures be kept which records the following details:

  • the name of the injured worker,
  • the worker’s address,
  • the worker’s age at the time of the injury,
  • the worker’s occupation at the time of the injury,
  • the industry in which the worker was engaged at the time of the injury,
  • the time and date of injury,
  • the nature of the injury,
  • the cause of the injury.

Duty to preserve incident sites

You must ensure so far as reasonably practicable that the site where the incident occurred is not disturbed until an inspector arrives or an earlier time as directed by the inspector.

To find out more, contact HIA's Contracts and Compliance team

Email us

Share with your network:
More articles on:
{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find the latest expert advice, guides and much more!

Managing your business


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.

Explore resources