{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Economic research and forecasting Economics Housing outlook Tailored market research Economic reports and data Inspiring Australia's building professionals HOUSING The only place to get your industry news Media releases Member alerts Submissions See all
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder and manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies and tool insurance Planning and safety services Building and planning services How can HIA Safety help you? Independent site inspections Solutions for your business Contracts Online HIA Tradepass HIA SafeScan HR Docs Trusted legal support Legal advice and guidance Professional services Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials and products Concrete, bricks and walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Falls from heights Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects COVID-19 Getting approval to build Sustainable homes
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Hear what our apprentices say Advice for parents and guardians Study with us Find a course Get your builder's licence Learn with HIA
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Mates rates What we do Mental health program Charitable Foundation GreenSmart
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Australian Housing Awards Awards program National Conference Industry networking Events Building and Renovation Home Show HOMEFEST
HIA products
HIA products $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Shop @ HIA Digital Australian Standards Contracts Online Shipping and delivery Purchasing terms & conditions Products Building codes and standards Hard copy contracts Guides and manuals Safety and signage See all
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

QBCC Home Warranty Insurance

QBCC Home Warranty Insurance can be a difficult space to navigate. This Information Sheet provides a refresher on the QBCC Home Warranty Insurance Scheme.

Building contractors are required to take out a QBCC Home Warranty Insurance policy on behalf of a homeowner where the value of the residential construction work is more than $3,300.

The purpose of the insurance is to protect the homeowner against: 

  • incomplete work;
  • defective work; or 
  • the building suffering from subsidence or settlement.

If the relevant building contractor does not rectify or complete work under the contract, the homeowner may make a claim through the QBCC Home Warranty Insurance Scheme (the Scheme) within 6 years and 6 months from practical completion for any structural defects, or within 12 months from practical completion for any non-structural defects. 

When must QBCC Home Warranty Insurance be taken out?

The building contractor must collect the insurance premium from the homeowner and pay it to the QBCC within the earlier of:

  • 10 business days from when the contract is entered into; or
  • the residential construction work starts. 

Unregistered land

The Scheme allows for building contractors to take out insurance without verifying the site with the Titles Office. This means that if the land is yet to be registered, the insurance must still be taken out within the abovementioned timeframes. Of course physical construction does not generally begin until the land is registered and the homeowner has produced evidence of their title.  

What is insurable ‘residential construction work’?

Primary insurable work includes but is not limited to construction or renovation of a ‘residence’ or related roofed building or any building work within the building envelope, the erection, construction or installation of a swimming pool as well as manufactured homes fixed to land in a residential park. A ‘residence’ includes a single detached dwelling, one or more attached dwellings separated by a common wall row house, terrace house, townhouse or villa unit, a building, of not more than three storeys, containing two or more separate residential units. 

If you are doing any ‘primary insurable work’ then any work associated with that is also insurable (known as ‘associated insurable work’). For example, fencing, landscaping, and electrical work. 

Any work on non-residential works, including commercial or industrial premises, and building work for an owner-builder holding the appropriate permit is excluded from insurance coverage. 


Under Section 70 of the Queensland Building and Construction Commission Act 1991 (the QBCC Act), if the residential construction work being carried out needs to be varied, resulting in the value of the contract increasing by $5,000 or more, the building contractor must notify the QBCC so that an additional insurance premium can be paid. This includes single variations for $5,000 or multiple variations totalling $5,000 or more. 

The building contractor must notify the QBCC prior to the variation works commencing. 

Penalties may apply if the building contractor does not comply with this requirement and if the correct premium is not paid. 

Cancellation and refund of insurance policy

Obtaining a refund of an insurance premium can be difficult. To be eligible for a refund:

  • the construction work must not have started;
  • the building contractor and homeowner must have terminated the contract; 
  • less than one year must have elapsed since the day the contract was signed; and
  • the building contractor must have refunded the deposit to the homeowner (less any lawful deductions which could include the insurance premium). 

For further information relating to changing or cancelling a QBCC Home Warranty Insurance policy


As the building contractor makes the payment of the premium on behalf of the homeowner, the building contractor is unlikely to be entitled to claim back the GST component of the premium. For further information

For further information in relation to QBCC Home Warranty Insurance, please contact a Workplace Adviser on 1300 650 620 or HIA Insurance Services on 1800 762 878.

For further information in relation to HIA Home Warranty Insurance.

Share with your network:

More articles on:

{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find guides, how-tos, resources and more
Latest articles
View all news $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
28 Jun
Workers are still leaving Sydney and Melbourne and heading north

"A slow return of overseas migration is easing the adverse impact of a loss of workers from Australia’s two largest states,” stated Tim Reardon, HIA’s Chief Economist.

23 Jun
COVID-19 vaccination requirements to be lifted

The Victorian Government has announced a further lifting of COVID-19 restrictions in relation to vaccination requirements.

21 Jun
Certificate of Occupancy for houses suspended until 2024

The Certificate of Occupancy requirements for Class 1 buildings were suspended on 16 December 2021 to run until 30 June 2022.

21 Jun
Using a cost plus contract in Tasmania

This infosheet provides an overview of what cost plus contracts are, how they are used and how to avoid common issues. HIA has a Tasmania Cost Plus Contract for sale available for purchase through Contracts Online.

Managing your business


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.

Explore resources

Business support


Supporting building professionals with custom built services and products.

  • Legal support
  • Contracts Online
  • Host an apprentice
  • Insurance services
  • Managing safety

Explore Business support

Carports & Pergolas - Design & Construction Manual

This construction manual is suitable for any design and construction work with timber carports and pergolas. It contains clear and concise information...

Hancock's Roof Cuts & Rafter Lengths

Hancock’s Roof Lengths and Rafter Lengths is well known throughout the building industry as the Little Red Roofing Book. No self-respecting roofer sho...

Pocket Span Table Book

The Pocket Span Table Book comes in an easy-to-carry, pocket-sized (A5), durable book in a spiral-bound format. It includes span tables for commonly u...

Timber Decks Design and Construction Manual

The Timber Decks Design and Construction Manual is an illustrated guide to the design and construction of low-maintenance timber decks for domestic ap...