{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Economic research & forecasting Economics Housing outlook Tailored market research Economic reports & data Inspiring Australia's building professionals Business & digital Products & innovation Projects HOUSING Online The only place to get your industry news Media releases Member alerts Submissions See all
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder & manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies & tool insurance Planning & safety solutions Building & planning services How can safety solutions help you? Independent site inspections Solutions for your business Contracts Online HIA Tradepass HIA SafeScan Advertise jobs Trusted support & guidance Contracts & compliance support Professional services Industrial relations Member savings Toyota vehicles Fuel savings Handy pay See all
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials & products Concrete, bricks & walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Falls from heights Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects COVID-19 Getting approval to build Sustainable homes See all
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Frequently asked questions Study with us Find a course to suit you Qualification courses Learning on demand A job in the industry Get your builder's licence Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Find jobs
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Mates rates Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Our initiatives GreenSmart Kitchen, bathroom and design hub Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Support for you Charitable Foundation Mental health program
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Awards program People & Business Awards GreenSmart Australian Housing Awards Awards winners Regional Award winners Australian Housing Award winners 2023 Australian Home of the Year Enter online Industry events Events in the next month Economic outlook National Conference Events calendar
HIA products
HIA products $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Shop @ HIA Digital Australian Standards Contracts Online Shipping & delivery Purchasing T&Cs See all Products Purchase NCC 2022 Building codes & standards Economic reports Hard copy contracts Guides & manuals
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Residential building work for an owner builder

Builders and contractors are often approached to project manage or carry out certain works on a project undertaken by an owner-builder. This information provides an overview of your legal obligations if you decide to work for an owner-builder NSW.

There are a number of risks present if you decide to work for an owner builder. While they might be enthusiastic about their project, they do not have the experience of trained building professionals and common feedback is that their projects can be poorly organised, trades can be incorrectly sequenced and materials ordered can be wrong or of poor quality. Furthermore, if something goes wrong they can often look to blame to the licensed tradesperson or builder. 

What is an owner-builder? 

An owner-builder is a person who has been issued an owner-builder permit from NSW Fair Trading giving them the authority to undertake their own residential building works (any works involved in the construction of, or alterations, repairs or additions to a dwelling, including the supervision and coordination of works) on the property they own, when: 

  • the reasonable market cost (including labour and materials) exceeds $10,000; AND 
  • the work is being performed on a single dwelling-house, dual occupancy (limited circumstances) or a secondary dwelling that requires building approval. 

For work over $20,000 the person must also have completed an owner-builder course. 

Legal requirements when engaged by an owner-builder 

If you are contracted to perform any residential building work for a person who holds an owner-builder permit you must treat them like any ordinary home owner client. They are not a builder and you are not a ‘subcontractor’ to them. 

This means the following applies: 

Contract requirements 

If your contract with an owner-builder exceeds $5000 (inclusive of GST), you must use a contract that complies with the Home Building Act. This means the ordinary rules and restriction on deposits, progress payment and variations apply. 

Importantly, if you are engaged to provide project management or supervision services you are still doing residential building work so these rules will apply. 

If you are contracted to undertake only part of the work to be done on a site or to provide some limited supervisory or foremen functions, HIA recommends that your contract contains special conditions to specifically limit your scope of works to that agreed in order to ensure that you are only responsible for works that you have undertaken. These special conditions should also exclude the obligation to supervise other contractors not engaged by you and clearly state that you do not warrant work performed by other contractors not engaged by you. 

Warranty insurance 

For contracts with an owner-builder that exceed $20,000 (inclusive of GST), you must also have builders warranty insurance (insurance under the Home Building Compensation Fund), and you must give the owner-builder a certificate of currency prior to accepting, receiving or demanding any payment. This also applies where you contract to only supervise residential building work for a fee that exceeds $20,000. 

Workplace health and safety 

An owner-builder, where building work requires approval from the relevant building regulator is considered a PCBU under the Act and Regulations. Owner-builders have management or control of the workplace and take on the responsibility and liability that would normally fall on the principal contractor. 

As a builder or contractor engaged by the owner-builder you should still be aware that everyone involved in construction work has health and safety duties when carrying out the work. Where high-risk construction work is being undertaken, a safe work method statement should be provided and kept until the end of the job. 

To find out more, contact HIA's Building Services team.

Email us

Share with your network:
More articles on:
{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find the latest expert advice, guides and much more!

HIA Tradepass


HIA Tradepass takes the hassle out of collecting and verifying contractor business information and registrations. Developed by HIA specifically to suit the needs of residential builders.

  • Save time and money – get on site quicker
  • Less time on paperwork and more time building

Take me there

Building it right topics


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.

Business support


Supporting building professionals with custom built services and products.

  • Contracts and compliance support
  • Contracts Online
  • Host an apprentice
  • Insurance Services
  • Managing safety
  • Savings for members and much more!

Explore Business support

2022 National Construction Code - Volume One

Product comes in an A4 binder and will be mailed to you once it's purchased online. Volume One of the National Construction Code (NCC) relates to commercial buildings – Class 2 to Class 9. The code details technical provisions for...

2022 National Construction Code - Volume Two

Product comes in an A4 binder and will be mailed to you once it's purchased online. Volume Two of the National Construction Code (NCC) relates to residential buildings – Class 1 and Class 10. The code details technical provisions ...

2022 National Construction Code - Volumes One and Two

Product comes in an A4 binder and will be mailed to you once it's purchased online. This pack contains Volume One (commercial buildings – Class 2 to Class 9) and Volume Two (residential buildings – Class 1 and Class 10) of the Nat...

HIA Guide to NCC Livable Housing Provisions

Guidance provided by HIA on how to meet the new requirements for house and apartment designs.

HIA Guide to Wet Area Waterproofing

Guidance provided by HIA on the changes to waterproofing of wet areas requirements and what they mean for common solutions and compliance.