{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Housing industry insights Economics Data & forecasts Tailored research and analysis Advocacy & policy Advocacy Policy priorities Position statements Submissions News and inspiration Industry news Member alerts Media releases HOUSING Online
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder & manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies & tool insurance Planning & safety solutions Building & planning services HIA SafeScan Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS) Solutions for your business Contracts Online HIA Tradepass Advertise jobs Trusted support & guidance Contracts & compliance support Professional services Industrial relations Member savings Toyota vehicles The Good Guys Commercial Fuel savings See all
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials & products Concrete, bricks & walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Falls from heights Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects COVID-19 Getting approval to build Sustainable homes See all
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Frequently asked questions Study with us Find a course to suit you Qualification courses Learning on demand A job in the industry Get your builder's licence Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Find jobs
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Mates rates Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Our initiatives HIA Building Women GreenSmart Kitchen, bathroom and design hub Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Support for you Charitable Foundation Mental health program
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Awards program People & Business Awards GreenSmart Australian Housing Awards Awards winners Regional Award winners Australian Housing Award winners 2024 Australian Home of the Year Enter online Industry events Events in the next month Economic outlook National Conference Events calendar
HIA products
HIA products $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Shop @ HIA Digital Australian Standards Contracts Online Shipping & delivery Purchasing T&Cs See all Products Purchase NCC 2022 Building codes & standards Economic reports Hard copy contracts Guides & manuals
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

PAYG Payment Summaries – FAQs

The Frequently Asked Questions (‘FAQs’) below relate to Pay As You Go (PAYG) Payment Summaries (PS), which you must give to employees, workers and other payees for payments made during the financial year.

What are the relevant dates?

  • 14 July – this is the deadline by which you have to give each of your employees their PAYG PS.
  • 14 August – this is the deadline by which you have to give the ATO a list of each PAYG PS issued on or before 14 July. This list must be contained on the PAYG withholding payment summary annual report. 

What happens if I find out I’ve made a mistake on an employee’s PAYG PS?

  • Pre 14 July – simply put a line through the PAYG PS and prepare a replacement. You will need to keep both of these documents on file.
  • Post 14 July – by now, you should have already issued the PAYG PS to your employee. 

What if I’m asked for a PAYG PS for only part of the year?


  • your employee has made his or her request to you in writing 
  • he or she does not have any reportable fringe benefits tax amount, and 
  • you received this request before 9 June… 

then you must give your employee a PAYG PS form within 14 days of having received that written request. You can wait until 14 August (when you have to provide an annual report) to notify the ATO. 

How long do I need to keep copies of PAYG PS issued by my business?

Five years. 

What if an employee loses their PAYG PS?

You do not need to prepare a replacement PAYG PS. All you have to do is give your employee a photocopy of your copy (called the ‘Payer Copy’).

When filling out ATO forms that have squares that need to be filled in, I never know whether to leave a spare square between words. Does it matter?

The ATO specifically requests that, between each word, there is a square that’s been left blank. 

What do I put into the ‘reportable employer superannuation contributions’ section of the PAYG PS form?

You should include the cash value of payments made, at the employee’s request, to the employee’s superannuation fund. 

You should not include any superannuation payments that your business has to pay to its employees’ superannuation funds to satisfy its legal obligations under superannuation guarantee or industrial relations laws. 

Which dates do I put into the ‘Period during which payments were made’ section?

Pay dates are irrelevant for the purposes of this form.

  • For permanent full or part-time employees – simply refer to the period of employment (not the pay dates). 
    If the employee was employed for the whole year, put 1 July to 30 June. If they were employed after 1 July or resigned before 30 June, put their actual start or finish date instead 1 July or 30 June. 
  • For casual employees – if it is an ongoing arrangement (i.e. year-in, year-out) put 1 July to 30 June. Otherwise, simply specify the dates that represent the start and finish of the whole arrangement. 

Do I need to separate the allowances from the total amount of pay?

Yes, you will need to separate allowances that do not form part of the base rate of pay.

To find out more, contact HIA's Contracts and Compliance team

Email us

Share with your network:
More articles on:
{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find the latest expert advice, guides and much more!

Managing your business


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.

Explore resources

HIA Tradepass


HIA Tradepass takes the hassle out of collecting and verifying contractor business information and registrations. Developed by HIA specifically to suit the needs of residential builders.

  • Save time and money – get on site quicker
  • Less time on paperwork and more time building

Take me there

2022 National Construction Code - Volume One

Product comes in an A4 binder and will be mailed to you once it's purchased online. Volume One of the National Construction Code (NCC) relates to commercial buildings – Class 2 to Class 9. The code details technical provisions for...

2022 National Construction Code - Volume Two

Product comes in an A4 binder and will be mailed to you once it's purchased online. Volume Two of the National Construction Code (NCC) relates to residential buildings – Class 1 and Class 10. The code details technical provisions ...

2022 National Construction Code - Volumes One and Two

Product comes in an A4 binder and will be mailed to you once it's purchased online. This pack contains Volume One (commercial buildings – Class 2 to Class 9) and Volume Two (residential buildings – Class 1 and Class 10) of the Nat...

HIA Guide to NCC Livable Housing Provisions

This resource provides practical examples of applying the new requirements and explains common solutions and methods that may assist building practitioners to meet the new requirements for house and apartment designs.

HIA Guide to Waterproofing

Guidance provided by HIA on the changes to waterproofing of wet areas requirements and what they mean for common solutions and compliance.