{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Housing industry insights Economics Insights Data & forecasts Tailored research and analysis Advocacy & policy Advocacy Policy priorities Position statements Submissions News and inspiration Industry news Member alerts Media releases HOUSING Online
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder & manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies & tool insurance Member perks Toyota vehicles The Good Guys Commercial Fuel savings See all Planning & safety solutions Building & planning services Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS) Solutions for your business Contracts Online Advertise jobs Trusted support & guidance Contracts & compliance support Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials & products Concrete, bricks & walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects Getting approval to build Sustainable homes See all
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer How do I apply? Frequently asked questions Study with us Find a course to suit you Qualification courses Learning on demand Professional development courses A job in the industry Get your builder's licence Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Further your career Find jobs
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Mates rates Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Our initiatives HIA Building Women GreenSmart Kitchen, bathroom and design hub Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Support for you Charitable Foundation Mental health program
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Awards program People & Business Awards GreenSmart Australian Housing Awards Awards winners Regional Award winners Australian Housing Award winners 2024 Australian Home of the Year Enter online Industry events Events in the next month Economic outlook National Conference Events calendar
HIA shop
HIA shop $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Most popular products National Construction Code Vol 1 & 2 Waterproofing wet areas AS 3740:2021 HIA Guide to Waterproofing HIA Guide to NCC Livable Housing Provisions Top categories Building codes & standards Contracts & documents Guides & manuals Safety documents Signage For your business Contracts Online Digital Australian Standards Digital Resource Library Forecasts & data
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Should you be making contributions to TasBuild?

TasBuild administers long service leave for all construction workers in Tasmania. Under the Construction Industry (Long Services) Act 1997 (“the Act”), all employers are required to register and make payments to TasBuild.

What is TasBuild?

TasBuild offers long service leave to all employees who perform construction work. It does not matter if an employee has been employed by one or many employers throughout their working life, they are entitled to claim long service leave and to be paid the benefits after working in the industry for 10 years.

What do I need to do?

Employers who carry out construction work in the construction industry must register with TasBuild. Registration can be completed on the TasBuild website.

A return must be submitted to TasBuild every month within 14 days of the end of each return period (e.g., returns for June need to be submitted by 14 July). TasBuild will notify all registered employers via email informing them that their return is available to complete on the TasBuild Employer Portal.

What sort of information should I submit?

The information to be provided includes:

  • Amount of ordinary pay received during the reporting period (period pay)
  • Number of paid days during the reporting period
  • Registration of any new workers that commenced and have undertaken construction work; and
  • Reporting of any workers who have resigned during the period and include their registration number, date of resignation and reason for resignation.

How much should I contribute?

Employers are required to contribute 2.5 percent of the ordinary pay. However, employers may also be eligible for a 1.8 percent discount if they submit their returns by the scheduled due dates. GST should not be applied to any employer contributions.

Do I need to keep any records?

Employers need to keep all records for seven years. Substantial penalties apply for a failure to do so.

What happens if I do not register and make contributions?

Employers who engage employees to carry out construction work and do not register them or make contributions to TasBuild may be prosecuted, required to pay the missing contributions, and face financial penalties.

To find out more, contact HIA's Contracts and Compliance team

Email us

Share with your network:
More articles on:
{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find the latest expert advice, guides and much more!

Managing your business


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.

Explore resources