{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Housing industry insights Economics Data & forecasts Tailored research and analysis Advocacy & policy Advocacy Policy priorities Position statements Submissions News and inspiration Industry news Member alerts Media releases HOUSING Online
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host a HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder & manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies & tool insurance Member perks Toyota vehicles The Good Guys Commercial Fuel savings See all Planning & safety solutions Building & planning services Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS) Solutions for your business Contracts Online Advertise jobs Trusted support & guidance Contracts & compliance support Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials & products Concrete, bricks & walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects Getting approval to build Sustainable homes See all
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Frequently asked questions Study with us Find a course to suit you Qualification courses Learning on demand A job in the industry Get your builder's licence Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Find jobs
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Mates rates Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Our initiatives HIA Building Women GreenSmart Kitchen, bathroom and design hub Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Support for you Charitable Foundation Mental health program
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Awards program People & Business Awards GreenSmart Australian Housing Awards Awards winners Regional Award winners Australian Housing Award winners 2024 Australian Home of the Year Enter online Industry events Events in the next month Economic outlook National Conference Events calendar
HIA shop
HIA shop $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Most popular products National Construction Code Vol 1 & 2 Waterproofing wet areas AS 3740:2021 HIA Guide to Waterproofing HIA Guide to NCC Livable Housing Provisions Top categories Building codes & standards Contracts & documents Guides & manuals Safety products Signage For your business Contracts Online Digital Australian Standards Digital Resource Library Forecasts & data
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Engaging contractors : Information and details to collect from your contractor

This checklist provides a summary of some of the information and details you should seek from a contractor when engaging their services in New South Wales. Some of these may be legally required, whereas others are a commercial decision for your business

Verify that the worker is a contractor, not an employee

It is important that you do mistakenly engage a person as a contractor when they are, in fact, an employee as you may become responsible for things like workers compensation, superannuation, payroll tax and even a contractor’s unpaid income tax.

The fact that your contractor has an ABN does not necessarily mean they will be regarded by the regulators as being an independent contractor. A particular risk is if your contractors are simply paid an hourly rate for hours worked rather than upon the achievement of a result.

Find out more about working with contractors.

Checklist of issues

Information / details to collect Explanation
Public Liability Insurance
  • This insurance covers a business against claims for personal injury to third parties and damage to property owned or controlled by someone else.
  • Although it is not a mandatory insurance for contractors to hold, in the building and construction industry it is an important risk for businesses to insure against.
  • HIA strongly recommends that builders make public liability insurance a condition of engagement and seek evidence of the policies.
  • Ensure the insurance policy has adequate coverage. For example, HIA Trade Contracts require at least $5million for public liability insurance coverage.

Workers compensation Insurance

(covers the contractors' employees)

  • Workers compensation insurance is required where the contractor is an incorporated entity (company- Pty Ltd/ Ltd) or where the contractor has its own workers (e.g., sole trader with employee/s or workers. Note: the insurance covers the employee/workers, not the individual who is sole trader.)
  • Where such insurance is required, your subcontractor should provide a subcontractor statement to declare they have the insurance in place and provide evidence (certificate of currency).
    • Note: Contractors that operate as individuals on ABN, paid on a time basis, work exclusively for you, and under your direction are more likely to be seen as a worker than an independent contractor.

If you employ contractors who are deemed to be a worker, you need to ensure that you have workers compensation insurance and you provide an estimate of your annual wages bill to icare.

Personal accident/ sickness Insurance / Income protection insurance

(covers sole trader contractors)

  • Self-employed contractors who are not incorporated (company) are not eligible for workers compensation. HIA recommends that contractors take out cover for accident and sickness through a private insurer to provide financial compensation while they are unable to work.
  • Be aware that if your contractor is deemed to be an employee, they may still be eligible for workers compensation, even if they hold private insurance coverage.
Contractor Trade Licence 
  • A licence is required:
    • where residential building works are being performed by a tradespersons (works over $5,000);
    • for all specialist works (electrical, plumbing, gasfitting, air-conditioning, refrigeration), regardless of value.
  • You can only contract to perform, supervise or carry out works as specified by your licence. Penalties may apply if you perform works outside of your licence scope.
  • NSW Fair Trading sets out the works that can be carried out by each licence category.
  • Ensure that the licence matches the business entity (if the business is a company or partnership, there should be a licence in the name of that business, not the individual’s (director/ partner) name). To check a licence go to Verify licence.

Safety Induction/ White Card

(General Construction Induction Training Card 

  • Anyone performing construction work must have undertaken the general construction induction training and will have been issued with a construction induction card (or white card)
  • Check contractor holds card and maintain details (as evidence that you’ve met your duty). Checks can also be made online at Verify licence.
SafeWork Safety Licences (high risk works) - where applicable 
  • If engaging contractors to perform works that are considered high risk, a licence may be required – these works include dogging, rigging and scaffolding; use of cranes; hoists; forklifts; and pressure equipment.
  • Check licences for asbestos removal and demolition (as regulated by the Work Health and Safety Act 2011).
  • The above licences can be checked at Verify licence.

Safe Work Method Statements


  • Where high risk construction work is being undertaken, a SWMS should be provided and kept till the end of the job.
Written contracts
  • The use of written trade contract is an important part of the contractor risk management process. A written contract sets out key terms such as payment, insurance, processes for variations and rectification of defects.
  • HIA has trade contracts available here, or through Contracts Online that set out the following detail:
    • parties details;
    • site details;
    • scope of works and contract price (best to have a fixed fee for fixed result, hourly rates should be avoided; materials costs should be shown in a quote);
    • terms and conditions setting out progress stages, payment terms, job completion time, variations procedures (good practice that these are authorised in writing), delays, defects periods, etc.
    • terms setting out that contractor takes responsibility for the work and has control over how it’s done (rights to sublet /delegate work)
  • Statutory warranties under the Home Building Act 1989 apply to contractors – these are promises about the work (will be done with due care and skill, will comply with plans, specifications, BCA, etc.).
  • If there is a breach of the warranty, claim can be made against contractor (as builder, you have contract with the homeowner and would need to rectify the breach - you may seek assistance from the contractor at the time or pursue them for costs if had to remedy the breach).
  • Ensure all contractors have a valid ABN. If your contractor fails to cite a valid ABN then by law you must withhold 46.5% of the invoice and remit to the ATO.
  • An ABN does not always mean that the contractor is registered for GST. If not registered, the contractor cannot charge GST and should not use a ‘tax’ invoice.
  • Check your contractor business details via:
    • ABN Lookup – provides details of ABN holders and whether they are registered for GST;
    • ASIC Connect – provides information of Australian companies
Payments under Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 1999 (SOPA)
  • Be aware that contractors may issue a security of payment claim, in which case you need to respond within 10 days

How can HIA help?

We know that staying on top of contractor compliance can be frustrating and time consuming. That's why we developed the HIA Tradepass contractor management solution.

It is more than an online document storage system – the Tradepass team can assist with collecting and verifying your contractors’ documents, including: 

  • ABN, ACN and GST registration information
  • Information on key safety practices
  • Construction induction white card
  • Industry trade licences and
  • Insurance documents (Public Liability, Workers Compensation, and more).

You can then view all your contractor profiles through your own Tradepass builder dashboard available on desktop or device.

If you would like a Tradepass demo or would like to activate a free trial: 

Contact HIA Tradepass

Email us

Share with your network:
More articles on:
{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find the latest expert advice, guides and much more!

Managing your business


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.

Explore resources

NSW Authority for Final Payment (Pad of 50)

The NSW Authority for Final Payment Pad offers an effective method of claiming final payment from your client. It’s available in a handy tear-off pad ...

NSW Claim for Extension of Time (Pad of 50)

This form is to notify the owner of an entitlement to an extension of time when building works have been delayed due to unforeseen circumstances, an o...

NSW Authority for Variation to Contract (Pad of 25)

The Authority for Variation to Contract (pad of 25) details changes or variations to works requiring an update to the contract between builder and own...

NSW New Dwellings Contract (Pack of 2)

Ideal for building professionals about to work on a new dwelling, available as a pack of two. The fixed price contract allows for all job details to b...

NSW Cost Plus Contract (Pack of 2)

This contract is used for residential construction works on a cost plus basis, not a lump sum ‘fixed price’. Costs are totalled and a percentage or fi...

NSW General Housing Specifications

The NSW General Housing Specifications document forms part of the contract documents which is referred to in the building contract. It details the wor...

NSW Preliminary Agreement (Pad of 50)

This Preliminary Agreement (pad of 50) is used to cover the cost of the preliminary work before and in preparation of signing the contract. This type ...

NSW Notice of Practical Completion (Pad of 25)

The NSW Notice of Practical Completion is used to notify an owner when a project will be at practical completion, available as a pad of 50. It sets a ...

NSW Small Works between $5K & $20K Contract (Pad of 10)

This contract is a fixed-sum contract used for non-structural, residential renovations and additions, available in a pad of 10 duplicate contracts. It...

NSW Residential Contract for Renovations & Additions (Pack of 2)

NSW Residential Building Contract - Renovations/Additions

NSW Small Works over $20K Contract (Duplicate)

The NSW Small Works over $20,000 contract (in duplicate) is for residential construction work over $20,000 and complies with the NSW Home Building Act...