{{ propApi.closeIcon }}
Our industry
Our industry $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Economic research and forecasting Economics Housing outlook Tailored market research Economic reports and data Inspiring Australia's building professionals HOUSING The only place to get your industry news Newsroom
Business support
Business support $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Become an apprentice host Hire an apprentice Why host an HIA apprentice? Apprentice partner program Builder and manufacturer program Industry insurance Construction legal expenses insurance Construction works insurance Home warranty insurance Tradies and tool insurance Paperwork gone digital Contracts Online HIA Tradepass HR Docs SafeScan - managing workplace safety Planning and safety services Building and planning services How can HIA Safety help you? Independent site inspections Trusted legal support Legal advice and guidance Professional services Industrial relations
Resources & advice
Resources & advice $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Building it right Building codes Australian standards Getting it right on site See all Building materials and products Concrete, bricks and walls Getting products approved Use the right products for the job See all Managing your business Dealing with contracts Handling disputes Managing your employees See all Managing your safety Falls from heights Safety rules Working with silica See all Building your business Growing your business Maintaining your business See all Other subjects COVID-19 Getting approval to build Sustainable homes
Careers & learning
Careers & learning $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
A rewarding career Become an apprentice Apprenticeships on offer Hear what our apprentices say Advice for parents and guardians Study with us Find a course Get your builder's licence Qualifications Learn with HIA
HIA community
HIA community $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Join HIA Sign me up How do I become a member? What's in it for me? Get involved Become an award judge Join a committee Partner with us Get to know us Our members Our people Our partners Mates Rates What we do Mental health program Charitable Foundation GreenSmart
Awards & events
Awards & events $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Awards Australian Housing Awards Awards program National Conference Industry networking Events
HIA products
HIA products $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
Shop @ HIA Products Digital Australian Standards Contracts Online Shipping and delivery Purchasing terms & conditions
About Contact Newsroom
$vuetify.icons.faMapMarker Set my location Use the field below to update your location
Change location
{{propApi.text}} {{region}} Change location
{{propApi.successMessage}} {{region}} Change location

$vuetify.icons.faPhone1300 650 620

Long service leave in the NSW building and construction industry

Employers need to be aware that there are two long service schemes that may apply to the NSW building industry.

There are two long service schemes that may apply to the NSW building industry:

  • Building and Construction Industry Long Service Payments Act 1986 (NSW) (Portable Scheme)
  • Long Service Leave Act 1955 (NSW) (State Scheme)

Portable versus normal long service leave?

Due to the project based nature of the building and construction industry, it is unusual for someone to work with the same employer for 10 years. To ensure building and construction workers have the opportunity to access similar entitlements, the Long Service Corporation set up the Portable scheme in the late 1970s.

The scheme covers both employed and self-employed workers who perform building and construction work in NSW. The scheme rewards long service to the industry rather than long service to a particular employer.

Under the State Scheme, after working for the same employer for 10 years an employee will be entitled to long service leave.

It is important to note that an employee is only entitled to a benefit (payment or paid leave) under one of the schemes (for example, an employee may be employed by same employer for 10 years, he cannot get a payment from the Portable Scheme and take long service leave from his employer).

What do employers need to know?

The portable scheme only covers workers that perform building and construction work on or offsite. This includes workers who directly supervise building and construction work, providing they physically perform work . The scheme does not cover workers who perform office/ administrative tasks such as estimators, architects, designers and engineers.  These workers are covered by the State Scheme.

It is a requirement under the Portable Scheme for all employers of workers who perform building and construction work within NSW to register with the Corporation as an employer and to notify the Corporation of a worker’s commencement, service, and cessation of employment. 

Within 7 days of a worker starting, employers need to complete and lodge a Start Notice for all workers covered by the scheme (whether they are already registered or not – if not already registered, the Corporation will register the worker).

Unlike other schemes, employers do not pay direct contributions for their employees and there is no cost to workers or employers to join the scheme.  The scheme is funded by a 0.35% levy payable on building and construction works in NSW valued over $25,000, usually when plans are approved by local councils and before the commencement of construction work (prior to building approval). Generally, the building applicant, or the person for whom the work is being done is responsible for paying the levy.

Pro rata leave entitlements

If the employment relationship ends:  Portable Scheme State Scheme
After 55 days of service

The employee may be entitled to a payment if the employee:

  • is 55 years old and is leaving the industry permanently
  • is unable to work in the industry ever again, because of illness or injury
  • dies
After 5 years of service An employee may be entitled to a payment if the employee stopped during building and construction work

An employee may be entitled to a payment equal to the proportionate amount of 2 months for 10 years service if the employment relationship was terminated:

  • by the employer for any reason, other than the employee's serious or wilful misconduct, or
  • by the employee on account of illness, incapacity or domestic or other pressing necessity, or by reason of the employee's death
After 10 years of service but less than 15 N/A The employee will be entitled to a proportionate amount on the basis of 3 months for 15 years service

How to join

To register as an employer under the Portable Scheme you must complete a registration form, which can be obtained by calling 13 14 41 or on the Corporation’s website www.longservice.nsw.gov.au The Start Notice for new employees can also be filled in online or lodged in paper form. 

What happens after you notify the Corporation of a new employee starting?

Each July employers are required to complete an Employer Return, either online or paper form. The return provides details of all workers recorded as being employed. Employers need to check details and provide details of each employee’s service (and indicate whether any of those workers have since ended employment, and identify any employees not on the return). 

There is an obligation to notify the Corporation via an End Notice of an employee’s termination, within 7 days of the employee’s termination. 

For more information call your Workplace Advisor on 1300 650 620.


For an employee to fall within the Portable Scheme they need to be either doing work or directly supervising work that has its minimum rate of pay fixed under one of the following modern awards:

  • Asphalt Industry Award 2010 [MA000054].
  • Building and Construction General On-site Award 2010 [MA000020].
  • Electrical, Electronic and Communications Contracting Award 2010 [MA000025].
  • Joinery and Building Trades Award 2010 [MA000029].
  • Mobile Crane Hiring Award 2010 [MA000032].
  • Plumbing and Fire Sprinklers Award 2010 [MA000036].
  • Manufacturing and Associated Industries and Occupations Award 2010 [MA000010] (but only to the extent which it relates to performance of work as a carpet layer).


Share with your network:

More articles on:

{{ tag.label }} {{ tag.label }} $vuetify.icons.faTimes
Find guides, how-tos, resources and more
Latest articles
View all news $vuetify.icons.faArrowRight
28 Jan
2022-2023 Pre-Budget Submission

HIA has provided the Federal government with our 2022-23 pre-budget submission setting out a range of funding and policy commitments aimed at improving housing supply and affordability.

28 Jan
Waterproofing of wet areas

Requirements for the materials, design and installation of waterproofing for domestic wet areas for residential buildings.

27 Jan
Inspection of buildings - general requirements

Overview provides the basic criteria necessary in order to facilitate inspections and reports that satisfy the requirements of both the client and inspector.

27 Jan
Guide to the installation of ceramic tiles

Guidance on the preparation of the background, the fixing and grouting of floor and wall tiles, mosaic tiles and in swimming pools.

Managing your business


Can’t find what you need, check out other resources that might be closer to the mark.

Explore resources